How to Sign In
The Empowered Educator
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Looking for something to spice up your course and amplify engagement?

Cengage
Cengage

In her webinar on instructional design, Jenny Billings shares these tips for successful course design:

1. Establish a framework and let it be your guideline as you build your course. 
  2. Remember your objectives and draft your course outline against instructor style and requirements.  Do not just use digital for digital’s sake. 
  3. Let your personality shine through.  Personalize your course where appropriate.   
  4. Streamline your content.  You don’t have to include everything. 

Jenny has also shared a list highlighting her favorite classroom digital tools, including Free Rice 2.0, storybird, Poll Everywhere and more.  Check it out (see "attachments", to the right).  Which of these would be a good fit for your course? 

What other digital tools do you use in your classroom?  Share your recommendations in the comments! 

BillingsBeaverJenny_F2015 Headshot.jpgDr. Jenny Billings is the Chair of ACA (Study Skills), DRE (Developmental Reading and English) and ENG (Curriculum English) at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College in Concord and Salisbury, North Carolina.  Hear how Jenny helped to roll out the largest digital initiative in her institution’s history and what she learned along the way.

Admin
Admin

Thank you Jenny for mentioning one of my favorite digital tools: ThingLink. I've been using this for years and it's really a great way to engage students.  They can also easily make their own.  Here's one I made to help students undestand how the neuron works:

' Definitely give thinglink a try.