The Cengage Psychology Blog
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
What if the 6 Basic Emotions were expressed as Gifs?
‎02-19-2017 02:07 PM
‎02-19-2017 02:07 PM

Across cultures, people can accurately identify 6 basic emotions - Happiness, Sadness, Anger, Fear, Disgust and Surprise.  The pictures often shown to subjects are these:

But wouldn't it be fun...

...if we explored human emotions using animated GIFs instead of still photos?  Here's the ones I would pick.... 

Happiness

Sadness

Anger

Fear

Disgust

Surprise

Tweet: The Six Basic Emotions Expressed as GIFS: https://ctt.ec/k4b3t+ #psychology

And since the internet is all about cats....

Happy
Sad

ToCRja2miF3Xi

NPUqgb8UE2iw8

Anger

10LCn5MSXM8d3O

Fear

2xx76aWGM39zW

Disgust

PMt42HcxHO99K

Surprise

GtZzfs0KuEjQY

Class Tip: have students search for these emotional states on a site like Giphy

Many people are talking about this reaction meme - nobody can quite agree on exactly what it expresses, but we've all been there...

Ekman, P., and Friesen, W. V. 1971. Constants across cultures in the face and emotion. J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 17(2):124–9.

Tweet: The Six Basic Emotions Expressed as GIFS: https://ctt.ec/k4b3t+ #psychology

2 Comments
Faculty Partner Stacy_Holliday
Faculty Partner

What a great way to use a current tech craze (intrinsic motivator) to engage students in critical thinking.  An assignment suggestion could be to leave it more open-ended and have them pick a topic/construct within the course that they would illustrate with a GIF and then have peers view and interpret before hearing the student's explanation.  This would be a great way to engage online students in discussion.  Just off the cuff, it seems this would work with interpersonal relations, effects of stress, defense mechanisms....  What are some other suggestions that could be illustrated with GIFs?  Are there any other assignment ideas?   

Faculty Partner essie_childers
Faculty Partner

Once again Michael, you have piqued my interest. I have not heard of the site Giphy. Students would love this. I will have to try it with my students as a discussion starter. As we move toward winding down the semester, allowing students to choose an emotion to express themselves can give them a sense of inner calm. Often times they forget how to manage their emotions when they are overwhelmed with projects and assignments.

Essie