cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X
Would You Save the Baby?
2 Comments

Would You Save the Baby?

Imagine this: you’re walking along a street in Paris with a crowd of other people.  All of the sudden someone notices a baby dangling from a fourth floor balcony - just barely hanging on.  Everyone else looks up at the scary situation. The baby might plummet to its death at any moment.

That scenario actually happened on May 28th of 2018.  

One young man, 22-year-old Mamoudou Gassama, scaled the side of the building and pulled the baby to safety. Here’s the video of Gassama saving the baby’s life:

Click here to copy the link to this video on YouTube.
Here's how to add a video to your MindTap course

Discussion Starters

• Make a Prediction: What would happen if a police officer or fireman was in the crowd - and that person did NOT help - what would the other people in the crowd do?
  • Many people are calling Mamoudou a hero - is he? Or was he motivated by the desire to attain French citizenship?
  • What have we learned from the bystander intervention studies that suggest a different reason why he helped while others didn’t?

Want to make this into an engaging activity for your students? A description of the activity and the answers to these questions (as well as more info about the “Making Predictions” teaching technique) can be found by clicking here.

How to sign into the community
2 Comments

I saw this video and it’s amazing! The  bystanders probably thought there’s no way they can help and wandered on by or stood staring. Sometimes our adrenaline kicks in and we do things we would never think possible. I saw situation once in Clearwater Florida and tried to step in the middle to help, while my husband was yelling at me to stay back. In hindsight what I did was pretty stupid, but I was able to help another. I could’ve put myself at great risk but it all ended OK!

This would make for a great class discussion.

Commenter

I like to call them "God things".  There are times when the right person is in the right place at the right time to do the most good.  This is one of those times.