cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

New Faculty Partner - Health Information, Medical Coding/Billing

AngelaC
Frequent Commenter

Hello Everyone! I'm a new Faculty Partner. I teach 100% online. I live in Central Illinois.

I teach everything related to Health Information and Medical Coding/Billing. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning with you.

Angela

Highlighted
essie_childers
Tutor

Howdy! Welcome to the site. I look forward to learning from you as well. I have just developed a new online course for study skills. Any tips for first week introductions?

Engaging Essie

AngelaC
Frequent Commenter

Hi Essie,

One of the things I like to do in the introductions is to get everyone to share a "fun fact" about themselves. I share that I love the beach and that my husband and I go dancing most weekends. It seems to be a good icebreaker.

amber
Frequent Commenter

Hi Essie!

I do something fun.. 2 truths and a lie! Have students post 2 truths and a lie about themselves on the discussion board.. then students respond to peers and try and guess the lie. Pick a date to have everyone reveal and or have them post their lies in a separate forum. It's a lot of fun and a great icebreaker. Works well with online, traditional or blended modalities. :0)

~Amber

millerch
Commenter

Get to class ahead of time put on the board for the class to put themselves in alphabetical order by last name and then sit in that order.  When class starts have them spend a few minutes interviewing the person beside them and then have that person introduce. 

Admin

Here's what I do in the first class: try to get everyone to memorize everyone else's name. I do this by showing students how the keyword mnemonic technique (which they can use to help them memorize content in any class) can be applied to learning names.  It's fun and they're surprised at how ridiculous - and how effective - it really is.  I talk about it here on my podcast.

millerch
Commenter

Welcome this is the same field that I teach at a local community college.  I was wondering if you are using The Paperless Medical Office 2nd edition?  If so do you have your book and instructor materials?

Cheryl

AngelaC
Frequent Commenter

HI @millerch I am not currently using The Paperless Medical Office 2nd edition this term. I'm using another product.