Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Hi!

Mary_King
Frequent Commenter

Hello Everyone, 

My name is Mary King and I am a faculty member of the Criminal Justice department at UTRGV. I teach a variety of courses but probably my favorite is Criminology, and I am also an adivisor for the American Criminal Justice Association. I look forward to engaging with everyone on here and learning some new best practices from my peers!

Mary

Eugene_Matthews
Valued Contributor

I noted that the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley has an active Criminal Justice program and students who with obvious interests in getting into the CJ field! I note that your courses are offered online, but was unclear as to whether or not you also offered them in the face to face or blended (hybrid) format. Also, I'm always curious as to what your favorite courses to teach might be.

At any rate, I know you're probably knee deep into the start of the semester activities, so I'll leave you to it. Again, welcome!

~

Eugene

Mary_King
Frequent Commenter

Hi Eugene, 

Thank you for the warm welcome! The students down here are pretty active in CJ and I also advise the ACJA chapter down here that competes in CJ conferences, we are actually hosting this year so that will be exciting. I currently only use Mindtap in my online courses, but I am hoping to intergrate them into my face to face next semester. I really enjoy teaching Criminology and my Criminal Justice in the Media course. I have also really enjoyed teaching my Mindtap corrections course over the summer so I hope to teach that again. What about you?

Mary

Highlighted
Eugene_Matthews
Valued Contributor

I actually use MindTap in my face to face classes, as well as online. I'm teaching Criminology this semester and I'm using Larry Seigle's Criminology the Core for my class. I really like that the video's and supplemental information in MindTap is current and relevant to what's going on today. Sadly, it's all too easy of late to grab almost any news headline and incorporate it into the class for discussion or analysis.

I'm also using Mindtap in my Criminal Justice Research class with the Maxfield and Babbie 8th Edition text. I like that the students get a general overview of the research process in Chapter one which then allows us to deconstruct it throughout the rest of the semester. Currently in our 16wk f2f course, in addition to quizzes and exams, students complete the course having developed a research proposal. 

I guess, the thing I (and my students) like is the 24/7 access to the e-text and supplemental info. The LMS we use is Canvas and Mindtap is easily deep linked into the modules, so that any activities I want to use as graded course material automatically gets populated into the gradebook. Some of the other resources I leave as practice or ungraded. While in class I sometimes pull up the "You decide" activity and walk through it as a class. That's always engaging.

I hope you get a chance to explore MindTap in your f2f class sometime!
~
Eugene

Mary_King
Frequent Commenter

Hi Eugene, 

I have been using Siegels Criminology, theroies, patters and typologies for my online class but I think i am going ot try the Core one this semester instead, seems more straightforward and appropriate for the undergraduate level class. I like your idea of going through a what would you do scenario in class, I feel at times i get too lecture heavy and I am hoping to engage in more discussion in my classes next semester with some activites I have planned. Good luck this semester!

Mary