Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Hello Partners! Sherri Singer

SherriSinger
Mentor

Hello,

I'm Sherri Singer from Alamance Community College in North Carolina.  I've been part of the Facuty Partner's Network for two years and at Alamance I am over the Social and Behavioral Sciences and Professional Development.  After being an adjunct for six years early in my career, they became my passion.  At Alamance I've created a program specifically for them called the Adjunct Institute. 

I look forward to collaborating with each of you and hearing your great ideas.

Here's to a successful year!

Sherri

Marcy_Krugel
Contributor

Hi Sherri,

Your Adjunct Institute sounds fascinating.  Do you have a website for it?  I'd love to learn more.

essie_childers
Tutor

Good Morning Sherri,

I have enjoyed reading some of your blogs. I think the Adjunct Institute is a wonderful idea! More colleges and universities should have them.

Essie

Rajone_Lyman
Contributor

Hi Sherri!  Our faculty senate has implemented a system wide Adjunct Faculty Academy this semester. I serve on the planning committee. This has become a fascinating project and I look forward to sharing successes and roadblocks you have found in the past.

Rajone A. Lyman, M.Ed.
Admin

I'm really curious: what kinds of topics/skills would be taught in an adjunct academy? Or is one of the main goals to get adjuncts to know one another...?

Rajone_Lyman
Contributor

Michael these are questions that we pondered at the start of the program. We developed resource online and through semesterly trainings that help newly hired adjunct become aquainted with our institution.  There are many guidelines that have to be addressed such as how to access email, HR resources, LMS set up, getting Identification, etc that may cause a adjunct to be frustrated so we have appointed mentors for each campus that the adjuncts can contact to help them hit the ground running. Look at it like a first year teacher mentoring program. Mentors connect adjuncts to trainings and resources necessary to making their transition successful.

Rajone A. Lyman, M.Ed.
Admin

Everything you list below makes sense in terms of adjunct training (accessing a new email account, how the LMS works, etc.), but let me throw this at you: as you may know, I'm creating videos in a blog in this community.  Right now I'm calling the blog the "Efficient Professor" (but that sounds dull so I'm considering a new name).  I was once a full time prof who now adjuncts on a regular basis and most of tips I share in this series came from things I actually do in order to both work full time and teach adjunct classes.

So for example, I thought that it would be great if I could have web articles read to me as I drove to school or wor..., so I discovered the process I demo in the video.  Also, I use IFTTT to help me find breaking articles in my field that I can talk about in class. I discovered these tools because I wanted my drive from work to class to be producitve.

Would your adjuncts find these videos helpful....?  If so, feel free to share them:

http://community.cengage.com/t5/The-Efficient-Professor/bg-p/MichaelBritt

SherriSinger
Mentor

Hello,

I hope mini sessions called Technology Tidbits and I'll be adding your videos to the online componet they are perfect.

Thanks,

Sherri

Admin

"Technology Tidbits" - love it.  I try to get these videos in at less than 2 minutes, which is about how much time I give to other videos I see online. This requires skipping the details of a few steps, but if people like the idea (in this case of text-to-speech) then the skipped steps are easy to figure out.  As an adjunct myself what I show in the videos are actual "hacks" I use to balance life and work.  Hope your adjuncts like them.  Any questions, thoughts, suggestions - feel free to get in touch!

Michael

SherriSinger
Mentor

Hello,

Here's a list of what is currently available:

• A section of forms, dates and information.  Everything an adjunct needs to perform their job can be found in one set location.
  • Resources and special topics.  For example Title IX is a new concept so we have an entire section on it and the same for our Quality Enhancement Plan.
  • Online PD and seated sessions with topics such as designing an effective syllabus, becoming printshop savvy, working with students with disabilities, an introduction to financial aid, academic advising and more.
  • Each session, announcment etc is specifically geared toward the needs of adjuncts.  By recognizing and addressing their concerns we also make them feel special.

Sherri

Admin

Sherri,

What is "becoming printshop savvy"? Is that like "photoshop savvy"?

SherriSinger
Mentor

Hi,

We have been at this for over a decade and it is highly successful.  The best advice I can give anyone is when you are starting a program make sure it is solely for adjuncts and then keep it that way.  They need their own platform to use, attend professional development and hold discussions.  Anytime I've mixed full time and adjunct sessions, the full timers talk over the adjuncts.  Plus the more special and geared specifically toward their needs the program it the better it runs.

Thanks,

Sherri

Admin

@SherriSinger Here's another question about your Adjunct Institute project: I recently discovered a site called Adjunt Nation.  Obviously your Institute will be more focused on what Adjuncts who teach at Alamance CC, but do you plan on incorporating any of the mission/focus of Adjunct Nation (and by the way, if you know of other sites for adjuncts I'd love to check them out)?

SherriSinger
Mentor

HI,

I hadn't see Adjunct Nation so I'll be looking through it this next week.  I have focused on encouraging professional development and offering both an inperson and online certificate option.  I try to alway use best practices and back them up with research and then concrete examples.  I'll let you know about the site after I spend some time with it.

Sherri