Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Greetings from Central Florida

Highlighted
rdurant
Frequent Commenter

Greetings All, from Central Florida.  I am Rick Durant, an Adjunct Professor with two (2) online colleges.  My "home" college is Hodges University with campuses in Naples and Fort Myers, FL; where I teach Accounting courses and use the Cengage LMS.  I relocated from Fort Myers back to Central Florida after hurricane Irma, and now teach strictly online courses for both Hodges and Rasmussen (I have been teaching online with them from my beginning tenure with them).

I spent 35+ years in "industry" working for corporate America in the financial technology area (FinTech), and am now semi-retired doing what I've always wanted to do, teach college level courses in career / private colleges.

I have spent 3 years now learning the Cengage resources and try to integrate as much of them as I can into the Blackboard LMS I use to teach with online.

Thanks to all of you for your dedication to education!

Best Wishes,

Rick Durant 

Eugene_Matthews
Valued Contributor

Hello and welcome! I have some friends who are now retiring and relocating themselves to Florida, as well as a good friend who teaches online at multiple institutions so Florida must be the place to settle! I'm in mid-Missouri FT at a local university, and having a great time! 

Hope you enjoy your summer and don't work too hard - 
~
Eugene 

rdurant
Frequent Commenter

Eugene,

Thanks for the note.  I think between FL and AZ or NC it seems to be places folks want to retire to.  I've been in central FL since the late 70's and always called this home, though, during my tenure here I've temporarily lived in Chicago, London, Singapore, Sydney, and Bogota; as was on "tour of duty" with a software company based in the Orlando area.

Now, am enjoying the slower pace of life and doing what I'm really passionate about, teaching and sharing my "real-world" experience to the students - perhaps more than just the textbook stuff.  To my it is about how to apply the stuff you learn, and what skills the student brings to the employer, even if self-employed.

I hear Missouri has great weather year-round.  What is your teaching discipline?

Mine is Business and Accounting.

Best regards,

Rick

Eugene_Matthews
Valued Contributor

My area is Criminal Justice, and I branch off into research, security, homeland security, etc., 

As to the weather...100+ and climbing!! It's a scorcher out here - but it's summer so you gotta expect it. We get our exercise in during the early morning or hit the pool Smiley Happy

~
Eugene