Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X
Teaching Chemistry!
Commenter
2 Comments

Teaching Chemistry!

Greetings!  My name is Donovan Dixon.  I am an Associate Lecturer at the University of Central Florida (UCF) in Orlando, where the only unbeaten collegiate champion of the 2017-18 football season resides. Go Knights!!  Orlando is also supposed to be one of the happiest places on earth; the weather is great too (yeah, we only have the occasional hurricane going for us).

On to the chemistry.  I teach mainly general chemistry at the current time, but have taught other courses over the years.  These include inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and even environmental chemistry at the senior undergraduate/graduate level. 

The general chemistry classes have large enrollments, sometimes in excess of 400 students, and these are students from the health professions, the engineering fields, and of course the chemistry majors!   

It can be both exciting and challenging at the same time, but the goal is always to reach as many of these students as possible, using the various tools which are available.   One such is OWLv2, which I used initially when I first started teaching at UCF. 

After a break form OWL, and over the past two or three years, I have used it solely in a chemistry course designed for engineering majors.   I am therefore looking forward to working with everyone in the upcoming weeks on the next generation of OWL.

2 Comments
Cengage

Welcome to the community site, Donovan! Go Knights! (although as I type this I'm at the Univ of Notre Dame so I should say Go Fighting Irish!) We look forward to hearing your feedback on the prototype. 

Commenter

Thanks Nicole!  Go Fighting Irish is most definitely appropriate. I spent the better part of a year and a half at Notre Dame as a Research Associate.  Fond memories indeed.  I was secretly hoping I could have been there in South Bend for the conference........