History Instructor Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

100th Anniversary of WWI – How will you Commemorate It?

Highlighted
SherriSinger
Contributor

america-1297618_1280.png

The assassination of Archduke Frans Ferdinand, the sinking of the Lusitania, doughboys, trench warfare, what else do you cover when talking about WWI?  This year marks the 100th Anniversary of the United States’ entrance into WWI.  Throughout the country, states, counties and governmental agencies are participating in commemorative events.  All of these provide history instructors with a unique opportunity to enhance those dusty WWI lectures with new primary sources and interactive content.   

Below is a guide to some of the most popular interactive new resources:

nationalArchives.jpg

World War I Centennial from the National Archives provides an app, blog, educator resources and a vast number of primary source documents.  It has topical content on Diversity in WWI, Soldier Training, the Homefront, battlefields, technology, medicine and armistice.  

1stworldWar.jpg

The First World War, designed by United Kingdom’s National Archives, contains sections that allow you to view war records, browse online collections and listen to podcasts.

wallstreet.jpg

The Wall Street Journal has selected 100 legacies from World War I that continue to shape our lives today.  Faculty and students can click on images to bring up additional content that contains historical context with more modern application.

wmith.jpg

The Smithsonian Institute’s , World War I Centennial virtual exhibit contains sections on unique topics such as the role of stamps, war mobilization, women in the war, rallying support, music of the great war and even Sargeant Stubby the official mascot of the 102nd Infantry, 26th Yankee Division.  

guardian.jpg

The First World War Interactive from the Guardian provides a global guide to the first world war  in an interactive documentary format.  The website provides this content description.  “Ten historians from 10 countries give a brief history of the first world war through a global lens. Using original news reports, interactive maps and rarely-seen footage, including extraordinary scenes of troops crossing Mesopotamia on camels and Italian soldiers fighting high up in the Alps, the half-hour film explores the war and its effects from many different perspectives. You can watch the documentary in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Arabic or Hindi thanks to our partnership with the British Academy.

national.jpg

The National WWI Museum and Memorial website provides a searchable database of primary sources and interactive  content.  This  site provides instructors with an annotated searchable database and contains links to sites from universities, archives and museums around the world. 

greatWar.jpg

The Great War – This YouTube  channel provides over 125 short 10 minute videos on various WWI topics.  These videos provide photos, primary sources,  as well as video clips and move at a fast pace much like the Crash Course videos. 

Please share your ideas and resources for World War I.

BillB
Commenter

The horrible, lasting effect of war.  We want future generations to know how terrible it is.  How profound and pervasive the effects are on so many.  My grandfather was in WWI.  More soldiers died of disease than in the war.  But they died.  They never came home again.  What does that do to people?  My father was in WWII.  He investigated war crimes afterward.  The horrors men who otherwise would not be placed in a position to commit and those acts done because people go along with the current thinking.  Our future generations must understand.  Or they will repeat.