How to Sign In
Engage Your Students
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Talking About the Election Results in Class?

Highlighted
Admin
Admin

It's always a sensitive issue to talk about, but how can we avoid talking about the election? I'm trying to do so by not talking specifically about why I voted for one candidate over another, but instead by focusing on the incredible split among the American people - why are we so divided over these candidates?

The electoral college numbers are 290 (Trump) vs. 232 (Clinton), but I'm trying to focus on the popular vote, which (as of today, Nov 15 2016) is:

• Clinton: 62,318,079
  • Trump: 61,166,063

Since my discipline is psychology, I'm bringing in pych topics like how group polarization occurs and in-group/out-group stereotyping.  

I know we have a few IT/tech instructors here, so I could see talking about the "filter bubble" idea (how news sites only show us news they know from past experience we would probably like). @Joey_Bryan and @Sandy_Keeter do you have any thoughts on this?

This focus on our national divide so far seems to allow my class the ability to talk about an important issue without getting caught up in individual voting behavior.

Are you trying to discuss this sensitive topic in your class? What approach are you taking?

Michael

Scholar

I teach Computer and Internet Literacy and almost every weekly discussion centers on social media of some sort.  Listening to my older students tell my younger students that Facebook is not a good news source (ie: The Pope encouraged US citizens to vote for Trump?!) and Twitter is not meant for real communication (ie: One way lash outs or rants don't count as "communication") got a bit "heated" this week, but made for a FUN class..Smiley Happy.

Admin
Admin

I heard that upon the announcement of Trump's win, there was a report of circular clouds above Jerusalem out of which came trumpets. Widely shared on social media.  Oh well...