cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Our Students Don't Have "Learning Styles"

Highlighted
Admin

The research on the idea is clear - "learning styles" don't exist.  Students may feel like they're "visual learners" or "auditory learners" but the studies have been done - presenting information to them according to their preferred "style" does not improve their scores. 

Admin

Here's another great article on this topic by author and researcher Daniel Willingham

mike_lafreniere
Valued Contributor

Mike - I am persuaded to agree with you. From what little I've read on the research (and differing points of view), learning styles do not appear to exist.  Although I've read quite a bit that claims the contrary.

I'm influenced by Daniel Willingham, too.  Here's an interesting take claiming learning styles do not exist by Daniel Willingham at University of Virginia:

All this has me currently reading a book by Daniel Kahneman on how we think...so far, it's quite a good read. Here's a link more about this book via Wikipedia:

Mike...you've certainly reignited my interest in this...thank  you for posting and keeping my "flames" of curiosity burning. Smiley Happy

Admin

Mike,

Thanks for the links to those two articles.  I just saved them to my Google drive and I'm going to listen to them on my drive later today. I read Thinking Fast and Slow a couple years ago and even mentioned it in class recently.  What a great book!  As you know, it's pretty huge, but very interesting reading.  

Kahnemann gives some pretty unforgetable examples. The one that sticks in my mind is the study showing that - what was the medical procedure...a colonoscopy? - anyway if you the procedure ends painfully then we mostly remember the pain, but if the pain occurs earlier in the procedure and it ends painlessly then we don't think it was such a painful procedure after all.  Interesting stuff. 

I'll take a look/listen at those articles and get back to you.  Thanks for sharing them.

Michael

Scholar

Makes sense to me!

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-09-17/consider-yourself-visual-or-auditory-learner-turns-out-there-... Untitled.png

“I think it really depends on your objectives for the lesson,” Macdonald says. “Some types of content really lend themselves to visual presentation … if you’re teaching maps, that’s got to be visual. If you’re teaching music, those are [the] types of things that need to be auditory.

“But if your goal is to get a multifaceted exposure to certain content, it can be helpful to weave in all different types of modalities.”