Engage Your Students
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Online Activity: Helping Students Improve Their Study Skills

Admin

We often talk to students about how they need to spend more time when they study. We want them to be active readers - to apply what they're learning to their own lives and to ask themselves questions about the material ("How does this relate to other things I've learned about?"), but sometimes they don't quite understand how important this is to do. This deeper level of processing is important in terms of understanding and memory for what they're learning.

online-experiment.jpgHere's an online activity/experiment I created using Google Slides, Forms and Spreadsheets. It's based on an activity professor Stephen Chew does in his class. I translated Dr. Chew's class activity into an online format. Those of you who are teaching an online class might find this especially useful.  Give it a try (it's brief) and let me know what you think! And if you'd like to get a copy of the files used to create it, feel free to get in touch: michael.britt@cengage.com

CLICK HERE to participate in this brief online activity which will show your students how important it is to use deeper levels of processing when they study for their tests. Feel free to share this link with your students.

NOTE: you can also get a copy of this study to use for your class! The results of this study are sent to a Google Spreadsheet in my Google account. If you'd like to use this for your class and gather your own data from students, free free to email me: michael.britt@cengage.com.

Resources:

Login into MindTap

CengageUnlimitedLogo.png

MindTap is included with Cengage Unlimited.

Scholar

Fun exercise and the debrief makes perfect sense! I scored 100 due to having a "connection" with my words..:).

Scholar

We’ve adopted the reading apprenticeship program on our campus and have embedded reading strategies in all of our courses to help students understand and enjoy what they are reading!

hante_judy
Contributor
I did pretty well, 23/24. I'm not so clear on the point. Does the 2nd set of questions, about which words were on the list, tell you whether you were really actively engaged when you answered the first set of questions? How would you apply something like this in a math class?
hante_judy
Contributor
I just read the whole article by Stephen Chew, which cleared up my questions. I love the idea of doing a 2x2 factorial in my classroom since I have 48 students. It's a statistics class, so they will love the hypothesis and data collection demonstration.
Scholar

He's got some great videos I've shared with my students: https://www.samford.edu/departments/academic-success-center/how-to-study