How to Sign In
Engage Your Students
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Has anyone used reflective thinking and writing in a course? If so, could someone provide examples?

Kimberly_Atkinson
Contributor

I would like to apply reflective thinking in my Records Management class. Has anyone attempted this, or used reflective thinking in a different course? If so, does anyone have examples of questions used? 

Maggie_Major
Contributor

Yes. I use reflective practices in my College Success courses and in my Ethics classes. In addition, I have a list of reflective prompts I use for discussion boards. Here is my current list of reflective questions that I use to encourage deeper engagement in discussion boards:

• What did you know before the event and what did you learn from it?
  • Do you agree or disagree?
  • How did you act in that situation?
  • How would you do things differently?
  • What connections can you make between the event and other things from your coursework?
  • What is the best way for you to move forward from this event?
  • What surprised you about the event?
  • Who and what helped you at the time?
  • What can you do better since this event?
  • Are there any other questions that arise from this event?
  • How and where might you use your new knowledge and competencies?  
  • Are there alternative interpretations to consider?
  • If you ‘step back’ from this issue, does it look different?
  • How do you judge your ability to reflect on this matter?
  • How do your feelings relate to your actions?
  • Was it good/bad – and what are the implications?
  • What do you need to do?
  • What other information do you need (ideas, knowledge, opinion etc)?
  • Are there previous instances of this event, issue arising that will help you to think more/ differently about it?
  • Are there other views that are relevant to this matter – and in what way?

Maggie

Kimberly_Atkinson
Contributor

Maggie,

Thank you for your response and the examples. 

Kimberly

Sharon_Behrens
Frequent Commenter

I have not used Reflective Thinking, but I like the idea.  I also teach Records Management if you want to brainstorm.

Kimberly_Atkinson
Contributor
Sharon,
That would be wonderful. My email address is kaatkinson@waketech.edu.
-Kimberly
SherriSinger
Mentor

Hello,

We do this with current events and ask students to reflect on popular opinions.  They can add a personal reflection or a strategy for change.  Your students could reflect an issues that occur in their lives or with records issues.  Real world application adds value.

Hope that helps.

Sherri

Kimberly_Atkinson
Contributor

Sherri,

I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Kimberly

vvaldez_1
Commenter

Kimberly, 

I just searched records management cause I was not sure what it was. I love to use reflective thinking in my classes. It helps students think outside the box and be problem solvers. I would say questions like:

- why is it important to maintain records for a specific amount of time? Why or why not? Support your answer.

- would it be wrong to get rid of some records before the designated time period? Why or why not? Support your answer. 

You know the subject better than I do but hope it helps.

essie_childers
Tutor

Hi Kim,

I just read your post and wanted to share PMI+Q, a reflective activity with you (see below). I usually provide an article for the students to read, annotate, and post their comments in the discussion board using the PMI+Q Chart. I like this acitivity because students really have to think. The answers are not spelled out for them in the article. Other ways you can use this chart is after students have viewed a video or TED talk.

Engaging Essie

Capture_PMIQ_Reflect.PNG 

Kimberly_Atkinson
Contributor

Essie,

Thank you so much for your help and providing an example of an activity. I truly appreciate it!

Kimberly