Engage Your Students
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Flashcards: Show Students How to Use Them Correctly

Admin

Students love flashcards. But if they have a bunch of index cards in front of them and make flashcards by just copying text from the text or the web and then quickly look at the cards when they study, flashcards will be of little help.  Feel free to share this brief video with them - three keys to getting the most from flashcards.

Here's the link to this video.

Audrey_Wick
Valued Contributor

Yes, especially in my literature class, students love flash cards. Thanks, @michael_britt, for the helpful reminders!

Scholar

Thanks for sharing!

tom_mcgrath
Contributor

Totally agree that retrieval practice and spacing are very beneficial!

Scott_Crawford
Contributor

When flashcards are used right before an exam they're a waste - just a trick to load up short term memory and dump it a day later.  But if flash cards are used across several days (the third recommendation in the video) then you're teaching your brain to store information and truly memorize, which is a very useful tool.

Nicholas
Contributor

I recommend "Make it Stick: the Science of Successful Learning."

tlwright
Commenter

Thanks for sharing!

Admin

Yes - excellent book "Make it Stick..." Here it is on Amazon.

hante_judy
Contributor
I read Make It Stick a few months ago. Got some great ideas that I passed along to my students.
sinjini_mitra
Valued Contributor

Students love flashcards in Statistics classes - formulas, etc. Thanks for sharing, I think they are useful if used in a proper way.

Highlighted
marthamorse
Frequent Commenter

We all need help remembering, so those tips are a good reminder for me to slow down and absorb the information!  Thank you.  I'll definitely share these tips with the students.  Perhaps have the clip running before class.