cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Favorite Quotes on Education

Admin
Admin

Everybody has something to say about education, well here's a quote I can't seem to get out of my mind:

"Education is the one thing people are willing to pay for and not get"

I'm not sure who first said it - can't find the origin of the quote.  Anyone know?

Ed_Winkofsky
Frequent Commenter

I do not know the sourse, but it is funny and sad.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ben Franklin said: "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."  Wise and true!  Hopefully that cheers you up, @Ed_Winkofsky Smiley Very Happy

Admin
Admin

I agree Ed. This quote is a little...discouraging.  I try to use it to encourage my students to put some time into their papers and projects.  Don't know if it works but....

amber
Frequent Commenter

Hi Michael, found it: William Lowe Bryan (1860–1955) 10th president of Indiana University.

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/eduquote.htm

I agree, it is sad!

~Amber

Admin
Admin

Right you are:

One of the few things a person is willing to pay for and not get.

William Lowe Bryan (1860–1955) 10th president of Indiana University (1902 to 1937).

Highlighted
JS
Contributor

I can see a whole conversation in class around this quote.  I'm going to add this to my list of items to start a class.  There are days when I just have random short TED talks running when students come into class.  We talk about it once class starts.  This brings them to class and sometimes a little early.  Here is one of my favorite cartoons I share as well.

image.png

I also have a list of quotes I use when I send emails.  I try to send an inspirational quote with each email.  At the beginning of the semester I send a Welcome email with the following quote: 

“The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.”

― Tom Bodett

At the end of each semester I send a final "We Survived" email with the following quote:

It always seems impossible until it is done.   ~ Nelson Mandela