cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

What's New and Why Do I Need It? Intro Computing Webinar Series

Cengage
Cengage

Hello All!  It's Stephanie coming to you from my office in Boston.  Check out the very short video below. Smiley Very Happy

REGISTER NOW!!

@Kelly_Hinson @Sandy_Keeter @Nancy_Abshier @MicheleMcTighe @CassieC 

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

Argh!  P-(

I'm in the classroom for every single time slot.

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

On a much happier note, @StephanieA, you have a wonderful first name.  Smiley Wink

Cengage
Cengage

It never gets old!

Cengage
Cengage

@Stephen_J_Padilla - Not to fret!  I will be recording these and cut out any downtime so it will be easy to watch.  I will update this post to include these recordings as we go along.  Smiley Happy

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

Yay!  Thank you.  Smiley Happy

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

I have a friend back in my home state of Oregon who is also named Stephen.  Every year on his birthday, I remind him that his parents must have been especially intelligent for choosing to spell his name the right way.  Smiley LOL

Cengage
Cengage

Why are the new MindTap Collections revolutionary!  Check out this 37m walkthrough with Instructor Sandy Keeter!

MTC Three Covers.png

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

@StephanieA, thank you for posting this!  I hope I can find some time to watch it today, but I'm in the middle of a Blended Course Conversion and this is my last day with no students, so I may not get to it until I have completed this project (~ Oct 25th).

I will provisionally say that I am not a big fan of the Cashman series.  I used it in my undergraduate work, and then later my wife used it half a decade later in her AAS program.  We both disliked our respective editions as students, feeling that we really did not learn anything valuable but just followed the bouncing ball.  Now, as an instructor, I have become a fan of the Go! series.

Highlighted
Cengage
Cengage

Hi @Stephen_J_Padilla,

Please email me @ stephanie.albracht@cengage.com 

We have two other series and different standalone content that I think you may enjoy!

Scholar

We LOVE the Cashman series at Seminole State - both the students and the professors!  

eshepard
Valued Contributor

I agree, depending on the subject I am not a fan of the Cashman series either. However, I do like the Illustrated series. I feel it is more in-depth and a better learning experience for the students. You may want to look at it. Didn't like the Go series.

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

@eshepard, I will look into it.  I don't have a huge amount of authority, but the Curriculum Dean for Information Technology seems to respect my opinions.  We might end up adopting it for future re-writes.

Scholar

We use Shelly Cashman for Intro to Advanced Office Applications classes and Illustrated Collection for the Intro to Computers classes.

We find the Illustrated series to be very basic and to cover snippets of info that are easy for our Intro to Computers students to digest.  The reason we like the Cashman series for our Office Apps classes is because the students learn many concepts through the creation of a big project, from beginning to end.  

eshepard
Valued Contributor

Depending on the career choice for the student there is way to much covered I feel for the applications. Microsoft I feel,has added many features that are not necessary or rarely used.

eshepard
Valued Contributor

I admit I don't teach many of the Intro to Computer classes. Currently, one online per year.  I use the Illustrated for my Database Concepts class. I would prefer the Illustrated series for the Intro to Computer classes. However, it is not my choice either.

Cengage
Cengage

What's New in SAM?  Check it out here!  Thank you @Kelly_Hinson!!