How to Sign In
Computing Instructor Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Using New Perspectives Microsoft Office 365 Office 2016 Introductory version text. Questions about this text, MindTap and SAM?

Highlighted
Karl
Frequent Commenter

I am using the New Perspectives Microsoft Office 365 Office 2016 Introductory version. My main focus is Excel but will cover modules in Word, Access, and Power Point. I am new to this course and unsure as to what assignments I should require my students to complete in each module. In MindTap, there are several type of assignments I can require:  SAM training, SAM exams and SAM Textbook Projects.  What has been your experience with these assignments? Do my students need to register for SAM if I assign these items?   I probably want to err on assigning too little as opposed to too much since they are also required to read  chapters from their MIS text.  

Another option would be to require my students to complete the case problems that are in the text. This is appealing since the case problems are labeled as apply, create, challenge, and troubleshoot.  However, all students would have the data files and I am concerned about students not doing their own work. If I assigned the case problems from the book is there an easy to determine if they have done their own work or not? 

It looks like if I assign the SAM Textbook projects each student would have their own data file but these projects are similar to the case problems in the text and they are not labeled as to the learning objective ( apply, create, challenge, and troubleshoot) as done in the textbook.  Therefore, I suspect the SAM Textbook projects aren't necessarily designed with this text in mind but to support all the Cengage computing textbooks. 

I have a lot of questions about the text and the options I have as an instructor but I am unsure where to turn for assistance.  Does Cengage have staff who are well acquainted with this text and how would I contact them? 

MarkVerhoeven
Contributor

Hi Karl, they will need to register to get SAM access, I don't use the SAM training exercises but I do use the projects (these don't necessarily follow the textbook, but the textbook will help them learn what they need to do). They come with their own data files that students download, along with an instruction sheet. When the students finish they upload their completed file to SAM and it grades it. Then it will give the student a list of what they got wrong, along with SAM Training on how to do it. 

I generally allow up to 3 attempts on each graded project. 

Karl
Frequent Commenter

Thank you.  So SAM automatically assigns training to students based on how well they did? If so, is there something I need to do to make that happen? 

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

If you want training assigned for grade, you Can you do this to the mind tap learning path. If they are already set up as practice you can set them up as graded assignments easily by flipping a switch. You can also get a DSS to help you set up Sam paths if  you want to force them through training before or after an exam. we can talk more in detail about those later. But, training is available for all students via SAM study guide reports so They can remediate and train on missed tasks. There is nothing you need to do since I believe by default these these reports are turned on for delivery immediately after students take an exam or complete a project.

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

Hey Karl,

It can be overwhelming because there is SO much information in that text.  And YES, there are Cengage folks and Faculty Partners who can help you with course setup and training.  If you let your Learning Consultant know what assistance you need, she/he can make it happen!

Like @MarkVerhoeven said, they must pay for a SAM or Cengage Unlimited code in order to access the ebook and SAM assignments. I require SAM Projects and Exams after my students work through the Textbook Project.  Since I allow multiple tries on Projects and Exams, students will use the Study Guide report to Train and Remediate on missed tasks and the resubmit for a better grade before the deadline.

My course is LMS integrated so students access all reading and assignment links via my Canvas course.  I work hard to teach them how to use the amazing SAM reports in order to really learn the material and get the best possible grades.  We also have active discussions in class and online about some of their errors and how to fix them.  SAM has provided us with a great teaching and learning tool/experience for both faculty and students!  Let us know if you have any more questions and how we can help..Smiley Happy

Karl
Frequent Commenter

Thank you for your reply.  By the textbook project do you mean the tutorial module in the book? The book also has a review assignment and four cases. I was thinking about doing the tutorial in-class and assigning one of the SAM Projects.  Do you go through any examples step by step in-class? How long does it take the students to complete a  SAM Project out of class? 

That is good to know about the useful reports SAM generates.  Are they easy to find?  I have had a couple of sessions with my rep but we mostly discussed MindTap. I wasn't even aware that my students needed to register for SAM and we haven't really looked at SAM yet.  

Karl
Frequent Commenter

I did want to add I assigned the SAM Projects using MindTap.  At this point, I don't have a SAM account? Do I need to create one and if so, should I work in SAM and not use MindTap? 

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

You have one Cengage account so there is no separate SAM account. Students can access those assignments via MindTap or through your LMS if you are integrated. Your SAM section is automatically created when you create your MindTap course. Let us know if you have other questions! 

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

Your students don’t need to register for SAM since it is already in the MindTap learning path.  Their one Cengage login will get them to everything inside mindtap. Yes, Sorry I use the word textbook project into Tutorial interchangeably. I discuss the module objectives and run through the key points of the tutorial in class briefly. I am hoping the students come prepared and have already read through it. If they come prepared, the SAM project takes about one hour to do,  and then they can review the reports, do some remediation and training, and make corrections to resubmit the project for a better grade . I  typically will create a Video tonpist and discuss some of the problem areas in class so they are well prepared to do the project. And then of course I’m there to help them with any issues as needed on our lab days .

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

So sorry for all my typos! I’m at the airport trying to audio record

Karl
Frequent Commenter

My class is in the traditional Face to Face format and I would like to give an exam in class after covering the first four Excel modules.  I know there are exams for each module but I did not locate a multiple chapter exam.  Instead of a multiple choice test perhaps an cumulative type assignment would work better that they could complete in-class. Is this something that is available?  

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

@Karl I assume you are using SAM?  If so you can create an exam on all modules or ask the DSS to build one for you OR use an Excel Capstone Project..Smiley Happy.  Hope this helps!!