cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Technology and Sports

TerriGee
Contributor

The St. Louis Blues won the Stanley Cup. St. Louis has been awarded a Major League Soccer expansion team. The St. Louis Cardinals have clinched the National League Central Division and are headed into the playoffs. In case it isn't obvious - I am from St. Louis.

I wondered what kind of technology may be used in sports and athlete training. There had to be more than just an activity tracker. One of the companies I discovered was StatSports, used to measure a range of metrics used by soccer, football, rugby, basketball, and hockey teams in Europe, the US, and worldwide. You can see how the US Women's National Team uses the GPS trackers here:

I can't wait to bring this to my Computer Literacy class as a topic for discussion!

Highlighted
Scholar

Great idea @TerriGee.  We bought a set of fit bit zips for the classroom and use them when discussing several topics in our Intro Computing class.  I have a daughter who lives in St Louis!

TerriGee
Contributor

How cool using them in the classroom!

TerriGee
Contributor

Also, how cool your daughter lives here. How long has she been here?

Scholar

@TerriGee my baby daughter is in her 3rd year of residency at SSM Health (Foot and Ankle surgeon); she'll be leaving next summer for a fellowship...not sure where yet..:)

Cengage
Cengage

What a great topic idea for the classroom. As one example, I've noticed how in the MLB games I've watched the managers shift their outfield based on the % chance the batter will hit the ball in a given area of the field. I've been pointing this out to my 10-year old to show the importance of Math and Technology in the real-world!