Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Grades after trial ends

AngieRudd
Contributor

While I am the LMS integration topic.

I have a student who completed all work in SAM during 14 day trial and his grades were synced to the LMS grade book.  Now that the trial has expired his grades are still there? 

Shouldn't they be 0'ed out or something?

I still see him in the SAM grade book as well.

I thought previously they disappeared from SAM grade book after trial ended.

Scholar

No, the grades remain in SAM. For this reason, I publish only half the course initially until the grace period has passed. Doing everything in 2 weeks is not a very rich educational experience and many of them share files to finish so quickly! And if a student wants to finish quickly, they can sign up for one of our mini term classes..:).

AngieRudd
Contributor

I see your point, but if you are teaching a course and want to let student’s work at their own pace I don’t think you should limit them on a completion time.  In a more personalized environment we want students to move forward and work on content they have not mastered.

I do use the option in the Projects to reject files if copied from another, but yes, they can still work from someone else’s completed work.

By using the SAM Path experience my thought is that students are not limited to spending time on information they may already know (they test out of it) and then can spend time on what they may not know (the training, post exam portion).

Amber_Butcher

They can share projects?

I definitely need to turn this off. I'm new to Mindtap !

Thanks for the info.

Any other tips to avoid students "sharing" work?

Cengage
Cengage

@Sandy_Keeter @AngieRudd can you tell me more about students sharing files? Are they sending the start files to other students? I assume our incident reports are catching that, but can you tell me more about what this looks like? All of this feedback is SO helpful!

@Amber_Butcher students are not able to copy/paste another student's work into their projects, and they each must use their own unique start file for the project. You can set SAM to reject projects that violate this, or you can receive an incident report so you'll be aware of any sharing and the nature of the incident.

AngieRudd
Contributor

I have been using the rejection feature that was recently implemented.  I like this feature much better because before you had to remember to go run reports (and I would forget)  ...I think now you have incident notification on the dashboard.  

Using the file rejections keeps the student from even submitting there file if any part of it has been copied from another student or the student has not completed there project in there specific download file.

Scholar

Although it can be time-consuming, I’m one who checks reports weekly and I have conversations with those that show up on the project incident report. If we simply reject project incidents, then I feel like they find other ways if they were trying to cheat in the first place. But then again perhaps they just didn’t use the start file and then they end up Emailing me to figure out why they got rejected.

We have a database of students who have violated academic integrity In any class, and our dean of student services is trying to nip cheating in the bud so that we are graduating students of integrity who deserve their grades!

Typically friends or siblings or spouses are the ones that share files. Just this week I had a husband submit all of his wife’s files. He tried to claim it was an innocent mistake but that is definitely not the case. You have to intentionally change the name on your files in order for SAM to except them.

The wife started a month ago and he just started this week in a different section,  but we were still alerted about the project incidents.

Scholar

No worries @Amber_Butcher! SAM will catch them or you can always turn on the project rejection feature..:)!

Cengage
Cengage

Hi @AngieRudd . The grades will remain beyond the trial period, unless your institution's administrator removes them. Once the trial period is over the student will no longer have access to the course and any assignments associated, but any grades received during the trial period will stay in both the SAM and LMS gradebooks.

Kelly_Hinson
Contributor

The problem with this is that a student can complete all the assignments in the 14-day grace period for some classes if they work really hard. If that happens, then Cengage has just lost a paying student-customer. I do not feel obligated to hide all my course work for the semester during the 14-day grace period.  What should probably happen is what used to happen; if a student did not pay, their grades became zeros until they did pay.

I don't think a lot of students do this. I think most are buying the codes and completing the work at an expected pace. But you will always have some who have learned to work around the system.

The interesting part of this equation is what is the best thing for students as far as content release? At our school, online courses should be totally developed and fully ready to go from the start of class. That does not mean we can't use some adaptive releases, etc. But basically, students should be able to work ahead. However, they cannot take the final exam ahead.

Scholar

In my full term online section of about 200 students only one or two will try to finish early. By holding back the midterm and the final exam, they are unable to pass the class in the first two weeks. Many of our classes require students come on campus for the midterm and the final or pay for proctoring software. So far I have not had to do that,  but by holding those two assignments back, students can only get through 50% of their grade in the first two weeks.

If a student chooses to take a mini term class which is only six or eight weeks, they can probably get through all projects and the midterm in the first two weeks and pass with a C without taking the final exam.

Scholar

PS

And since we have Cengage unlimited in the bookstore, many of our students are using that one code for several classes and they couldn’t possibly finish all their classes in a two-week grace period.  So there’s no stress or rush since they only paid $119 for all their classes!

Highlighted
TerriGee
Contributor

For several reasons I do not make all assignments and exams available at the start of the class. One of them is to prevent the student from completing everything in the 14-day period. I don't want to hold all students up if they have the skills and/or the time to work ahead, so I make assignments available beginning 2 - 3 weeks before the due date. All exams are available only during a set date or dates. Students have a full calendar of due dates that I provide and they can see when those dates are and plan their time accordingly.