Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Flipgrid

Highlighted
Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

I'm not sure if Corinne posted this previously or not, but it was just too cool NOT to share again!  She showed this to us last week in Long Beach and I used it in my Intro to Computing class today as we talked about Internet Technologies and Resources. They all shared something new and interesting from the reading and posted to FLIPGRID.  What a fun way to share thoughts with each other: Flipgrid websitetop-device.png

Admin
Admin

I've been hearing a lot of talk in higher ed about Flipgrid.  You got me digging into YouTube for a few tutorials.  I see that while Flipgrid is used a lot in k-12, it was originally developed for teaching and learning in higher ed.

Here's one of the videos I found particularly useful:

Going to have to use this in my next class.  Cool tool.

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

While I very much like this idea, I don't think it would work where I'm teaching.  We already have mandatory discussions in Canvas that I have a hard enough time getting them to do, even though they are part of the grades.  If the Curriculum folks would allow me to use this instead of the current system, it might spark some more use, but I think it might pit my older students against my younger students, with the older ones being much less likely to put their faces and videos on the Internet and thus suffering in the grades.

Admin
Admin

Interesting. I never thought about that perspective–that because this tool is a video based discussion, older students might be more reluctant to create a post in it...

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

@michael_britt, I have a student who is in his 60s.  He has serious reservations about putting anything even remotely personal on the Internet because of all the news he has seen over the years about data compromises and illicit use of personal data.  He's perfectly happy to work in IT, but he doesn't want himself to be a part of the data sets.

I have another student in his 50s who is very skeptical of these things.  The Facebook/Cambridge scandal has reinforced concerns about social media and data privacy.  Yes, I know that Flipgrid is not like Facebook or Twitter, but it is close enough to cause concerns in those who are not digital natives.

eshepard
Contributor

I am not sure if I would use this as we already have the resources in blackboard. I use wikis and they can upload videos and other pertinent information.  Students are separated into groups for the wikis. However, I can also create a wiki or blog with all students in the class. 

ProfessorCorinn
Valued Contributor

My students of all ages adore Flipgrid! It makes them part of a shared voice and community!

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

It really is a fun way to communicate!

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

@ProfessorCorinn and @Sandy_Keeter, I'm all for anything that increases engagement!  When I get to my next job after this campus closes in October, I will see if I can fit it in with the way they are doing things.  It looks good to me (even though I myself am almost 50 😉 ).

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

And I am almost 60!

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

@Sandy_Keeter, at the risk of sounding obsequious, I would have never guessed that you had half a generation on me.  I thought we were either contemporaries or that I was your elder!  

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

That's because I act so immature most of the time.....Smiley Happy

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

@Sandy_Keeter:  Hee hee!  Maybe your profile pic is from 10 years ago.  😁

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

My flippant remarks have been sufficient to make me rank up from Valued Contributor to Tutor!  😂

Cengage
Cengage

Loving this conversation. @Stephen_J_Padilla and @Sandy_Keeter, you two are cracking me up!

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

Old pic and photo shopped - DUH!

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

@Sandy_Keeter, when I was in my 20s, I had a full head of thick hair, but my beard looked like a teenager trying to grow his first beard.  Maybe I should PhotoShop my beard up to the top of my head!  😉

eshepard
Contributor

Suppose to continue to have fun in life!

eshepard
Contributor

Years young!!!

Admin
Admin

What I'm curious about is what kinds of questions might you use Flipgrid for other than asking students to introduce themselves.  I suppose you could ask them their opinions about a video you showed (or posted) in class, what their thoughts are about an article or piece of research they were required to read. That sort of thing...any other unique uses for flipgrid? 

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

@michael_britt, were I to be allowed to implement it, I would ask things like "What software applications are included in Microsoft Office?" and "How will you use them as a student and/or an employee in your future career?"  Basically, I would try to get them to say what I have previously been getting them to type.

Admin
Admin

Right, right.  So then this is just kind of a more fun way to discuss.....nothing wrong with that.  Just wondering if there aren't any more unique ways to use it...

Stephen_J_Padilla
Mentor

It could be used in a "show & tell" format.  I could, for example, ask the students to show me the difference between T568A and T568B termination, or to show they can identify the difference between a Console Port and an Access Port on a Cisco router or switch.  

In Physics and Electronics, an instructor could ask the students to demonstrate the Right-Hand Rule and/or the Left-Hand Rule.  When I taught High School Physics, the students' verbal skills were so poor that even if they could write exactly what they were saying (which they could not) they were always much more successful communicating visually. 

Since I was in no position to fix the bad teaching of the previous decade or so, I simply had to adapt to that which was available.  People who lack the basic skills by that age will need another way to express themselves, as they have been "dumbed down" by the chatspeak we use to squeeze everything into a Tweet and the issue of using Snapchat and such instead of proper communication. 

JulieHansen
Commenter

I'm known for always trying new stuff - in fact I like to think that my students enjoy this.  SO I'm going to give this a go!  I've just started a new online course (on quarter system) and for a part of it I'll be in Europe so wouldn't that be a hoot to have them see the Eiffel Tower in the background?!  

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

Absolutely!