How to Sign In
Computing Instructor Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Facebook Plans to Team Up With 15 Community Colleges.

Cengage
Cengage

I hope you are all enjoying your summer so far! This article popped up for me today and I'm so curious about how Facebook will be working with the community colleges it selects...specifically which skills they will be focusing on and how they plan to train students.

Here's a portion of the announcement from Facebook:

Today we’re announcing our pledge to train 1 million US business owners and equip more people with the digital skills they need to compete in today’s workplace. As our CEO Mark Zuckerberg has said, we want to make it easier for people to find jobs and grow businesses. According to recent predictions, the skilled labor shortage in America could create 85.2 million unfilled jobs by 2030. We are committed to helping reverse the skills gap in America by giving individuals and companies the tools they need to flourish in an increasingly digital economy.

Local business owners in the US tell us that digital and social media expertise are important both to running their businesses and as a consideration when hiring. In fact, a lot of business owners value a candidate’s digital skills above where they went to school. When we speak to people in local communities, the insights are even more telling. In Houston, for example, more than 95% of job seekers say it is important to have digital skills when looking for a job, yet only 15% rate their digital skills as excellent.

As computing instructors, what are your thoughts on this? Do we have any faculty members who are involved with this new program at their institution? 

You can read the entire statement here:

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/06/training-1-million-people-and-small-business-owners-across-the-...

Chronicle of Higher Ed article:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Facebook-Plans-to-Team-Up-With/243641

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

I hope they pick Seminole State!

Stephen_J_Padilla
Tutor

@Sandy_Keeter, since Seminole State College started offering Bachelor's degrees, does it still count as a community college?  I know they dropped "Community College" from the name in 2009, but I don't know how that affects its standing in this matter.

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

Who knows....  we are in between...  Community College not in our name, but also not considered a 4 - year college.

Stephen_J_Padilla
Tutor

I'm an Adjunct with Alamo Colleges now, teaching CompTIA certification courses.  As with teaching at Altierus Career College, the students often lack basic digital literacy.  As was noted in the Cengage research last year, basic office productivity software skills are very, very low for people coming right out of high school.  Sadly, it's not just Microsoft Office skills that are lacking.

I sometimes get students who eschew social media, so they are frustrated when I start explaining the importance of having a robust LinkedIn profile as an IT professional.  These days, a large percentage of tech jobs will use your LinkedIn profile in place of a traditional résumé.  You can fill out 80-90% of the job application online simply by providing your LinkedIn URL.  Basic Facebook skills will directly translate into basic LinkedIn skills, so I expect this to be helpful overall as the rest of the world catches up to the tech sector and stops using traditional résumés.

ProfessorCorinn
Valued Contributor

So many large tech companies including Facebook, Microsoft, and others find that it is becoming quite challenging to find U.S. employees that are  fully job ready with the latest technologies, soft skills, digital skills, data science, social media business implementation skills, and programming skills. Brilliant idea to work with colleges to make sure we are producing what they need! Sign me up!

So many of our administrators are actually canceling all computer literacy courses because they feel that our millennials grew up with technology. I would counter by saying yes they know how to game, text, and shoot selfies, but students today more than ever need instruction on the massive amount of new technologies such as artificial intelligence, VR, new Office productivity tools, and so much more. 

Stephen_J_Padilla
Tutor

@ProfessorCorinn, I would even go so far as to suggest that a photographer might say, "No, they don't actually know how to shoot selfies.  They have no clue about depth, framing, lighting, ..."  😉

ProfessorCorinn
Valued Contributor

Stephen, spot on! So true!

Corinne