How to Sign In
Computing Instructor Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X

Do you teach Systems Analysis and Design? Let’s chat!

Highlighted
Cengage
Cengage

Hi everyone!

My name is Maria Garguilo and I’m a Learning Designer for the Advanced Computing Team, focused on the MIS discipline. Great to (virtually) meet you all!

As a Learning Designer, I conduct market research and work with our authors to ensure our course materials have pedagogically sound content that meets the needs of our instructors and students. A big part of what I do is chatting with instructors like you to understand what and how you teach!

For today’s post, I’d love to pose a few questions related to the Systems Analysis and Design course:

1. What types of UML modeling tools and/or CASE tools products do you use and cover in your courses?
  1. Are your courses more focused on the traditional Structured System Analysis and Design approach, or on an agile Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design approach? I’m interested to get your take on which approach is more important for today’s students to grasp, and which approach they’re most likely to face on the job – maybe it’s both!

Looking forward to your responses! Thank you!

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

What types of UML modeling tools and/or CASE tools products do you use and cover in your courses?  

We do not use any specific tools.  Students will use Word, PowerPoint, or Visio to create their design diagrams.

Are your courses more focused on the traditional Structured System Analysis and Design approach, or on an agile Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design approach? 

The Cengage book we use by Tilley and Rosenblatt follows a traditional approach, but we have added agile processes to supplement the book.

I’m interested to get your take on which approach is more important for today’s students to grasp, and which approach they’re most likely to face on the job – maybe it’s both!” 

I think students need to be exposed to both approaches.

ProfessorCorinn
Valued Contributor

I teach Systems Analysis at Central Virginia Community College.  Huge fan of Rosenblatt's  SC System Analysis text by Cengage.

1. What types of UML modeling tools and/or CASE tools products do you use and cover in your courses? 

We cover many types of UML and CASE tools using Microsoft Visio and Project. Data flow, entity relationship models, actor based, process flow, diagram tools, documentation tools, process modeling tools, analysis and design tools, system software tools, project management tools, design tools, prototyping tools, configuration manage tools, programming tools, Web development tools, testing tools, maintenance tools, quality assurance tools, database management tools and re-engineering tools.

1. Are your courses more focused on the traditional Structured System Analysis and Design approach, or on an agile Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design approach? I’m interested to get your take on which approach is more important for today’s students to grasp, and which approach they’re most likely to face on the job – maybe it’s both

I think students today need both. Students may end up working in an IT shop that uses either one in full dedication.

Cengage
Cengage

Thanks so much for your helpful replies, @Sandy_Keeter and @ProfessorCorinn

Awesome that so many tools are available for students – does the number of tools available ever get overwhelming for your students? I hear from most instructors that students should be exposed to both approaches (traditional and agile) to be prepared for the tasks they’ll encounter in their future workplaces, so great that you both feel the same.

Also, wonderful to hear that you are both using our Systems Analysis and Design text by Tilley and Rosenblatt. We’re starting to think about the revision for that text, and as you pointed out, Sandy, it focuses on the traditional approach; that helps me to think about whether we should incorporate more agile processes to fill that gap next time around.

If you have time, would you both be interested in participating in a 20-minute Systems Analysis and Design survey that we’ll be sending out in the next week or two? Completely optional!

I really appreciate both of your responses to this post!

ProfessorCorinn
Valued Contributor

It is my students final class before graduation and is a 4 credit endeavor which means it is supposed to be challenging. Yes I would be happy to fill out the survey and assist in any way!

Corinne

Cengage
Cengage

Thanks so much, @ProfessorCorinn

An email with the survey link will be sent to you in the next week or two. 

Sandy_Keeter
Mentor

Yes; I have two other professors who might fill out your survey too, if you want me to forward the link to them.