07-07-2018 10:36 AM
If you click rapidly around the internet (as I do looking for news), you really feel the negative side effects of what websites are doing to support themselves through advertising. Some things that frustrate me:
I understand that news sites need support (and I subscribe to a couple of them), but wow, this situation stinks.
07-10-2018 10:28 AM - last edited on 07-10-2018 11:04 AM by michael_britt
All of these things frustrate me as well, but I'm just thankful that I don't have to pay a fee to each site just for access. I'd rather deal with the annoyance of the ads than deal with paying small fees or subscriptions all the time.
The two types that really bother me are:
07-10-2018 01:04 PM
Totally agree with you on your second bullet. I hate it when news that could be summarized in a couple sentences or bullets is needlessly made into a video containing ads. I click away from those videos right away.
Didn't I hear that Google was going to start some kind of subscription service so that you could, for example, subscribe to both the Wall Street Journal online and the New York Times online on one site and for one price? That would be convenient for us (don't know if those news sources would like it...).
07-15-2018 07:28 PM - edited 07-15-2018 07:29 PM
Here is a snippet of audio from episode 130 of the Marketing Companion podcast (highly recommended podcast by the way) in which co-host Tom Webster (along with mark Schaefer) talks about his strong distaste for websites that inundate the reader with ads:
I totally agree with this sentiment!
08-22-2018 05:14 PM
I refuse to look at my local newspaper site without an appropriate Ad Blocker, literally, 60% of the page is Ad's on both sides, top and bottom. The remaining 40% is news content in the middle. I would rather see that 40% with blank white space on the side. Accuweather is just as bad, they want you to pay to remove the ads, or send you complaints on every page that you are running an ad blocker, they are getting creative finding their ways about Ad Blockers like AdBlockPlus.