Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X
Unlimited Explorations: Writing Skills
Scholar
0 Comments

Why Writing Skills are Important and How to Improve them in Computing Students

Writing is an important skill for any college student, no matter their major or career goals. Being able to explain something to a friend, customer, instructor, subordinate or boss both verbally and in written form is crucial to their success in college, business and life.  "Text talk" will only get students so far...

One way to get my students interested in writing in my Intro Computing class is through class discussions and portfolios or blogs.  Asking them to research a hot new technology and then write about it brings the lesson full circle. Some learn by doing, but for many of my students, they need guidance and feedback to improve their general English and Tech vocabulary. 

Some of our computing faculty feel that writing should be taught in Gen Ed classes and that they are not competent to teach writing.  That's where Cengage Unlimited comes in!  Students can add digital books to their dashboard to help improve their writing skills.  You might suggest some of these below.

Bonnie Tensen used to teach at Seminole State, and I just LOVE using her books in my computing classes. Something about the way she writes "speaks" to my students.  If you don't have time to teach your students research strategies, check out this book:

1. Research Strategies for a Digital Age  Author: Bonnie Tensen

Why Students Should Add This Online Textbook to their “My Home”:

RESEARCH STRATEGIES FOR A DIGITAL AGE, 5th Edition, is a step-by-step guide that helps students increase their knowledge as they develop invaluable research skills. 

Login to your Cengage Unlimited account and put this ISBN in the search field: 9781305969407

Tensen.jpg

For another choice in learning research techniques, your students may like this one:

2. The Cengage Guide to Research

Authors: Susan K. Miller-Cochran/Rochelle L. Rodrigo

Help students develop the research skills needed for success in academic, career, and everyday situations with THE CENGAGE GUIDE TO RESEARCH, 3rd Edition.  

Login to your Cengage Unlimited account and put this ISBN in the search field: 9781337280969

miller-Rodrigo.jpg

The two books below come highly recommend by our English faculty, so I always suggest my students check them out for great writing tips:

3. Keys for Writers

Authors: Ann Raimes/Susan K. Miller-Cochran

Packed with examples and practical applications for writing in college, community, and career, KEYS FOR WRITERS, 8th edition, builds upon its concise but complete explanations, strong ESL coverage, outstanding student writing samples, and clear content design. 

Login to your Cengage Unlimited account and put this ISBN in the search field: 9781305956759

Raines-Cochran.jpg

4. Writer’s Harbrace Handbook

Authors: Cheryl Glenn/Loretta Gray

THE WRITER'S HARBRACE HANDBOOK, 6th Edition, builds on the belief that an understanding of the rhetorical situation is the best starting point for effective writing and reading. 

Login to your Cengage Unlimited account and put this ISBN in the search field: 9781337279635

Glenn-Gray.jpg

Since we use MT Illustrated Collection in my Intro Computing classes, my students are already familiar with the with the series and they like the style of writing.  This guide below by computing professor, Jeff Butterfield, is a favorite!

5. Illustrated Course Guides: Written Communication - Soft Skills for a Digital Workplace, 3rd Edition

Author:  Jeff Butterfield

Give your students the professional communication skills needed for success throughout their education and careers with ILLUSTRATED COURSE GUIDES: WRITTEN COMMUNICATION - SOFT SKILLS FOR A DIGITAL WORKPLACE, 3E. 

Login to your Cengage Unlimited account and put this ISBN in the search field: 9781337119290

butterfield.jpg

And if that is not enough, there are even more books on writing that you or your students might like to add to your Cengage Dashboard:

6. Building Writing Skills the Hands-on Way, 1st Edition

Author:  Jenia Walter

BUILDING WRITING SKILLS THE HANDS-ON WAY, 1st Edition, is a developmental English resource that teaches fluency in writing, reading, and critical thinking.

Login to your Cengage Unlimited account and put this ISBN in the search field: 9781305260733

walter.jpg

7. The Writer's Workplace: Building College Writing Skills, 11th Edition

Authors: Sandra Scarry/John Scarry

Covering concepts from grammar through essay writing, THE WRITER'S WORKPLACE: BUILDING COLLEGE WRITING SKILLS is the most comprehensive and engaging text available for the beginning writing student. 

Login to your Cengage Unlimited account and put this ISBN in the search field: 9781337096461

scarry.jpg

This Unlimited Exploration was created by professor Sandy Keeter, Seminole State College of Florida.