Cengage Technology & Computing Blog
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X
Microsoft Announces the Release of Office 2019
3 Comments

This week has been an exciting week for Microsoft, with the announcement and release of Office 2019 and their huge Ignite conference in Orlando, FL. I was fortunate enough to attend the conference today to learn more about the release and what it means to you, the instructor, and your students.

What is Office 2019?

Office 2019 is the standalone, offline version of office. The new release will include many of the features that began release through Office 365 this past spring. While Office 365 is a monthly or yearly subscription-based service and can deliver updated features as Microsoft releases them, Office 2019 is a one-time licensure. While rumor had it that this would be the last perpetual release (meaning that the license has no expiration date), Microsoft confirmed that they have committed to another future license release.

So, in a nutshell…

• “Traditional Office” (successor to Office 2016)
  • One-time purchase
  • Applications are not automatically updated
  • For use on single PC or MAC
  • For latest updates you must purchase again when update becomes available

It’s worth repeating - Office 2019 will NOT be the last perpetual release as we had believed!

Why? In chatting with one of the Microsoft Program Managers at Ignite, he mentioned that ideally everyone would be using the cloud-based 365 so they can receive automated updates. However, the company understands that many customers are hesitant to make the switch if they are used to the licensed product. Customer needs were at the forefront of this decision. Since Microsoft is typically on a three-year cycle, we can anticipate the next release to be in 2022.

What does this mean to you as an instructor?

If you’re at all confused about the difference between 365 and 2019, it’s safe to assume that many of your students are as well. It’s important to determine which version your institution uses as well as which version(s) your students may be using, and to educate them about the different Microsoft offerings. In our technology-driven world, Office skills are in high demand by employers. Many of the top employers are likely switching to either Office 2019 or 365, and your students need to be ready to compete in the job market when they graduate.

To learn more about Office 2019 and its features, stay tuned for a recording of Corinne Hoisington’s Virtual CCE webinar from today. The link will be made available in the faculty community forum when it’s ready. 

I’ll be sharing more about my experience at the Ignite conference over the coming days and weeks, but I just HAD to share this exciting news with all of you! Office 2019 is here, and we are hard at work to bring you the tools and resources you need to successfully educate your students on this new release.

3 Comments
Scholar

I'll need about three more lessons from Corinne on Office 2019; there was way too much to absorb in yesterday's webinar!  And i wish my college could've sent me to Ignite as a floater; I'm just a short distance up the road from the Orlando Convention Center and would've loved to be around that Energy!!

Prof. Hoisington’s Virtual CCE webinar was wonderful!  I'm very, very glad I attended.

Contributor

The webinar was fantastic and full of information. I agree, Sandy, there was so much to absorb. I will probably be putting the recorded webinar on loop to grasp it all.