CCE Minneapolis
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Contributor
Hi, My Name Is . . .

Hi, everyone!

The upcoming Cengage Computing Experience (CCE) event in Minneapolis promises to be a great experience for everyone. The overarching theme is "Change is Certain." For those of us teaching computing nothing could be farther from the truth!

I'm excited to be participating in the CCE Minneapolis event on April 7. Since I'll have the opportunity to meet you there I'll jump in first with a little background on me via Q&A:

-"WHO ARE YOU?" I'm Mark Ciampa, and teach information systems in the Gordon Ford College of Business at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Prior to this I was an Associate Professor and served as the Director of Academic Computing at Volunteer State Community College in Gallatin, Tennessee for 20 years. This career path has let me see the best (and sometimes worst!) of both world, that of the community college and university. They are very much the same--and very much different!

-"WHAT ELSE DO YOU DO?" I'm also an author for Cengage Learning, going as far back as 1995. Anyone remember Novell Netware? That was one of the first book projects I worked on. And Microsoft FrontPage (yep, wrote a book about it, too). And here's one that is probably not sitting on your shelf: Microsoft PhotoDraw (what was that? Never mind, the software had a short life). But all that was the distant past. In more recent times I've worked on Security+ Guide to Network Security Fundamentals, CWNA Guide to Wireless LANs, Guide to Wireless Communications, Security Awareness: Applying Practical Security In Your World 5ed, and Networking BASICS. At last count I think it's been 24 books, all with Cengage or its predecessor. So I've got a long history going here.

-"WHAT CENGAGE PRODUCTS DO YOU USE?" Certainly many textbooks, along with SAM, and now getting into MindTap. And MindTap promises to be a game changer. More on that later.

-"WHAT DO YOU DO IN YOUR SPARE TIME FOR FUN?" Like you, being a teacher doesn't leave too much spare time. But I enjoy reading, running and I've also been a soccer referee for about 20 years.

-"WHAT ARE YOU TEACHING RIGHT NOW?" This semester it's Introduction to Computers and a new course entitled Technology in Business and Society, and this class is really fun to teach and the students really get into it. We cover the implications of technology on us. Some of our topics are: "Is Employer Monitoring of Employee Social Media Justified?"; "Do Social Media Enhance Real Relationships?"; "Are Twitter and Other Social Media a Good Source of Political Information?"; "Will the Benefit Be Worth the Cost for the Internet of Things?"; "Will Robots Take Your Job?" "Are Copyright Laws Effective in Curbing Privacy?"; and "Can Technology Protect Americans from International Cybercriminals?" All great fun to talk about these current topics and learn what students are thinking.

-"WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE INFORMATION SYSTEMS TOPIC?" In a word, security. I've had the chance to research and write about it for several years, and am continually amazed at how good the attackers are in crafting new attacks. And we have to do a better job of teaching our students to know what to do in order to defend themselves from attacks. (Spoiler alert: that's a small introduction into my presentation at CCE Minneapolis.)

Right now you're probably thinking "TMI," and I am, too! Sorry to bore you with my life!

So what about you? Can you give your own answers to these above questions? And why are you coming to CCE Minneapolis? What do you hope to learn? What do you want to tell Cengage to improve? What do you need to help you be an even better teacher than you already are?

Now it's your turn. Post away, and we'll get the conversations going in our countdown to CCE Minneapolis!

Mark Ciampa
Cengage
Re: Hi, My Name Is . . .

Hi All,

My name is Stephanie Albracht and I am the Computing Marketing Manager.  I am very excited to meet you all here today.  Please come find me to chat about computing!

Stephanie

Highlighted
Cengage
Re: Hi, My Name Is . . .

Hi Everyone,

I'm Brianna Vorce and I'm an Associate Content Developer for SAM. I'm originally from Minnesota, so I'm particularly excited to be here in Bloomington this weekend.

-"WHO ARE YOU?" I came to Boston by way of Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota. I put my English degree to work and began my career at Cengage as a Product Assistant for Computing a couple years ago. Now, in my role as ACD at Cengage, I deal mainly with SAM tasks, which comprise the simualated exams and trainings for the Microsoft applications and Computer Concepts.

-"WHAT DO YOU DO IN YOUR SPARE TIME FOR FUN?" In my spare time, I like to play volleyball, whether it's on the beach, or with the league that I'm a part of. I also really love cooking with my fiance, we just bought The Food Lab by Kenji Lopez Alt and we LOVE it. We spend entirely too much time experimenting with different recipes to try out on our friends at dinner, with varying levels of success.

-"WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE INFORMATION SYSTEMS TOPIC?" I think I might broaden this to "what is your favorite computing topic," because I have to admit that I'm a huge Excel nerd. Just when I think I know all the tricks to make fantastic spreadsheets, I inevitably learn something new and I want to incorporate it into everything I do.

If there's anything else you want to chat about, just let me know! Smiley Happy