How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audrey_Wick
Valued Contributor

What is the ONE tip/trick you would share with a new user of MindTap?

If an instructor is using MindTap for the first time, what is the one tip/trick you would share as that person dives into the software?

Great Answers (1)

Great Answers (1)

diane_carter
Contributor

Re: What is the ONE tip/trick you would share with a new...

Start slow! MindTap has great tools that work BUT if you are new to MindTap and especially if you are just starting out teaching with technology, it is much better to choose just one or two tools or apps to use in addition to the reader and then add more as you go along. For public speaking, I usually recommend the quizzes (because they self-grade, are written by educators, and update automatically when new editions come out) and Outline Builder, a specialty app that helps students prepare outstanding speech outlines. After the first semester or two, when you're more comfortable, you can add more apps. A great way to decide which app to use first is to ask, "What is the biggest challenge in this class right now for me or for my students?" Nine times out of ten, you'll find that there's an app that will help!

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Joey_Bryant
Contributor

Look at all the features that are available and then select the ones that will empower your students to do their best. Some of the features work better for some disciplines and other features for different disciplines. I teach in two different areas and use different features for different types of classes. If you are new to MindTap, look at what is available and then customize it to fit YOUR teaching style. Remember that is is there to help you engage the students, not dictate what/how you must teach. Once you are comfortable with that concept, then it will open up a world of possibilities.
Maggie_Major
Contributor

My suggestion is to identify the one tool you want to use first such as the practice activities. Set up one or two lessons, using the tool you selected with one of your classes. Once you become comfortable with this tool, you will be able to readily expand your repertoire of MindTap tools.

Terry_Weideman
Contributor

Try one thing until you you are comfortable with it and then move on to another item. Make sure everythign works to your liking i.e can link easily to your LMS; can link to your gradebook if grading an item such as tests. Once you feel confident, moe onto to another item. As I have always said, "take baby steps". You ddn't learn to walk in one day  and you won't learn everything in Mindtap in one day! It's a fantastic tool, use it!!

Donna_Donald
Contributor

I would encourage a new user not to be afraid to customize. MindTap is chock full of great features and putting it all out there could overwhelm the student. Choose the features that are best for your students and your course. You can make the other material optional, but be sure to mark it clearly. Students sometimes miss the fine print.

Hello,

Complete a few assignments yourself.  This will help you gauge the lenth of time students will need and help you decide which assignments, types, formats work best for you.  Then be careful.  Think of MindTap as an all you can eat buffet.  Just because you can, doesn't me you should.

Sherri

Ed_Winkofsky
Frequent Commenter

As one of the authors stated, start slow.  Although I have used Aplia for a number of years, this was the first year that I used MindTap and CNow.  With CNow I used the already created assignments.  For next year I have modified the assignments, adding and deleting questions.  Each semester I expect that I will make changes.

The one tip for new users of MindTap…

I love reading all of the great comments. MindTap can be overwhelming for you and your students because of all the wonderful features. Someone has already mention to complete some assignments yourself so you will be familiar with the content. This is great advice.

Flexibility would be my tip. Be flexible with the due dates until all students can successfully understand and navigate the MindTap tools. Otherwise, you will spend a majority of your time adjusting grades and changing due dates.

Engaging Essie

sinjini_mitra
Contributor

I am a CNOW user, not MindTap but I feel that some of the facts/tricks work for all (or at least most) of the HW platforms. To me, the most important thing while getting started was to make sure that students have all the information they need to be able to use the tool effectively, and that they understand the basic features and how to navigate. So set it up as simply as possible with clear instructions for students (even a video) and discuss that in class during the first couple of lectures. Use only those features that are simple for you to understand and adopt as well as that for students. What I have learned from using CNOW for over 5 years now is that it's effectiveness is only relaized if students are using it efficiently. For example, CNOW offers study tools but many students are not even aware of it till you point it out specifically, and then they start using it, feel more engaged and perform well.