How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amy_Myers
Contributor

What happens if we drop a student in MindTap?

I asked a question a couple of weeks ago about whether other faculty drop students in MindTap when they are no longer officially enrolled in the course.  There were some great responses, and I think I probably won't drop students, but one response made me question whether this is best for students in subsequent semesters, and other responses raised questions about what happens when we drop a student.  Here goes!

1.  Are their records preserved?  (I'm guessing yes.)

2.  Can we reinstate them?  (Again, guessing yes.)

3.  Do they completely lose access? (I'm betting they do.)

4.  One commenter wrote, "I have heard that if a student doesn't complete a course (withdraws or drops) depending on the circumstances, Cengage might provide the student with a new course code that they can use to re-enroll in the same course. I don't believe that this feature is provided to those students who have not been officially dropped from the MindTap course."  Can we get some confirmation/clarification on this?  It could have a big impact on a student if the need to retake the class (and this happens pretty regularly in Economics!).

Sorry for the multipart question, but I really want to do what is best for the students.  Thanks!

Amy

Great Answers (1)

Great Answers (1)

Re: What happens if we drop a student in MindTap?

Alright, so @Audrey_Wick wanted to hear from someone at Cengage.  As a Customer Success Manager, I deal with a lot of access code scenarios so I'd thought I'd chime in with what I know through my experiences.

1. Yes, within the MindTap Progress App, you can use the Display Settings option in the Gradebook tab to show dropped students and view the scores of any submitted assignments.  You will not be able to view their assignment details, only the scores.
  2. As an instructor, you cannot directly reinstate them.  There is no magic “re-instate” button that pulls them back.  The student, however, can reinstate themselves by launching into the course using the same Cengage account and Course Key they used to originally enter the course. If through an LMS system, they can launch back in through there assuming their LMS user account is the same.  Once back in, they pick up where they left off and you can now view all assignment details.  An additional note for LMS users who are dropped from the MindTap course, if there are any MindTap assignment grades that were synced to the LMS, those grades should stay preserved in the LMS gradebook, assuming the student has not been dropped from the LMS course.  I recommend consulting with your LMS admin to confirm the specifics of your LMS.
  3. Yes, when dropped, students lose access.

4. There are really two scenarios; a student being dropped from a course and a student who completed, but failed a course and is retaking it. When an instructor drops a student from the course, on the backend, the student’s registered access code is reset from that MindTap course.  Their access code will stay registered on their Cengage account and is available to be re-applied to the same or different course (assuming they use the same Cengage account and access a course with the same title, author) within the access length (from original registration date) for the MindTap they purchased (6 mo. / 12mo.).  If their access code is not applied to a course within that time frame, the code will be expired (“burned”) on the student’s account and they will not be able to use it. This expired code scenario would follow the same conventions of a student retaking the same course. As Cengage allows students to re-take a course utilizing our digital products, they can contact Cengage Support to have a new code provided. Students will need to have already registered for their new course - or they will need to have their course key ready - when creating a case or calling support.  This is so Cengage can verify that their new course matches their old course. Our re-take policy can be found at http://support.cengage.com/victoriaweb/ArticlePage?ProductId=1000126

Another consideration with all of this is the access code type.  Some access codes allow access to only one MindTap course. These are typically the 1 term (6 mo.) option.  Other term types like 1 yr (12mo.) and 2 yr (24mo.) have a set number of course “tokens” associated to them which allows students to enter multiple MindTap courses of the same title until their tokens (varies by title) are exhausted. In this case if a student purchased a 1-year access which has 3 course tokens, even if their first token is “burned” during a failed Fall semester course, they will still have 2 tokens available which can be used if the student re-takes the course with the access length.

To bring this back full circle to @Amy_Myers original question around dropping students from MindTap when they are no longer officially enrolled in the course, I would recommend dropping the student as that would allow them the path of least resistance should they need to reuse their code.  Ultimately, Cengage has a do no harm policy so no matter the situation, if they already paid for our digital product, we will ensure they are able to use it.

Hope this helps.

Matthew

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

sinjini_mitra
Contributor

I will also answer "Yes" to questions 1 - 3. For Question 4, from my experience, if a student fails the course (not withdraw/dropped but still needs to re-take), they can contact Cengage for a free access code for the following semester. They usually verify that he/she was a student earlier (paid access) and typically helps out. So I would assume that if a student doesn't officially withdraw or drop but wishes to re-take a course, he/she should be able to gain access for free albeit via a phone call to Cengage. Your Cengage rep. can also help in this regard by supplying you with access codes that you can provide to students under exceptional circumstances.

Hope this helps.

Jenny_Billings
Valued Contributor

I would answer "yes" for 1-3.

4: Cengage Unlimited will resolve this concern. A student can put this MindTap Book/Course in their locker and save it for a new term/6 months. Therefore, not having to pay for it again. Wouldn't matter if they were withdrawn or not. Begins fall 2018.

Audrey_Wick
Valued Contributor

Thank you @Matthew_Anneken for the detailed response to help all instructors understand the process of student withdrawal from a digital product.

Cengage's strong level of instructional support continues to impress me. You've got us covered as instructors, and we appreciate that! Thanks for all you do!

--Audrey

Audrey_Wick
Valued Contributor

Amy--

Thank you for posting this and asking these specific questions. This is a wonderful conversation to have for instructors who use MindTap.

Like Sinjini mentioned, yes, a student who is dropped does have preserved records, can be reinstated, but does lose immediate digital access. To resolve any of these issues, the instructor can always call the support line of 1-800-990-8211. 

It's important to note, however, that different learning management system integrations may preserve data differently. So if an instructor integrates MindTap, there may be some additional digital records preserved in the institutional LMS. 

Hopefully someone from Cengage will answer your important fourth questions. I'd like to know the exact parameters of this myself, especially for students this semester where Cengage Unlimited is not an option. 

Thank you for this important conversation!

--Audrey