How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sue_T
Commenter

Using LMS Integrated SAM in Canvas, how can I make an individual assignment link available to just the student who will use the individual assignment.

SAM; New Perspectives Excel and Access

Sue_T
Commenter
My situation is a bit more complicated than that. Is there any way to talk with someone about what I'm trying to do?
(0) Kudos
Scholar
So my suggestion via private messaging didn't help? If your LC or CSM can't help, ask them if they can set up an FP Zoom with me and we can work on this together..:)
(0) Kudos
Sue_T
Commenter
Ok, I may do that. I can make an assignment for the individual student(s), but the individual student assignment deeplink is just a link and I cannot figure out how to get that link to only be available to the affected student(s) in Canvas. I don't see a way to get the link into an assignment. That's really the issue
(0) Kudos
Scholar
As i mentioned privately to you, don't use the individual assignment icon, but instead, make a copy of the assignment (so that you can get a link to put in Canvas) and then assign in just to that student in Canvas. You can P/W protect in SAM if you need to lock it down further.
(0) Kudos
Sue_T
Commenter
Ok, I'm tracking with you now. So, let's say I do that and create a copy of the assignment. I assume I have to give it a unique name. I'm trying to understand the implications of this for my gradebook in Canvas. So, I have this assignment, when I use the Cengage tool in Canvas would I want to click both options "Add to course" and "Add to gradebook" or do I only "add to course". Once I do that, are you saying that I can make that link visible to just the student (or in come cases a group of students) who I want to complete the copied assignment? When I tried this using the individual assignment I was able to add it to the course, but it is just a link that I cannot assign to a student(s) or put into an assignment. However, if a copied assignment performs differently that may be useful as long as the rest of the 70+ students in the class don't see this link there that does not pertain them.
(0) Kudos
Sue_T
Commenter
Thanks for your patience. I am not new to SAM, but I am new to Canvas and Integrated LMS.
(0) Kudos
Scholar
Oh yes, the gradebook in canvas would have another column.... I'm not sure how that would work unless you do as you suggest and don't add it to gradebook and manually add the grade for that student? This will take some experimenting! As long as you assign it to that one student, no one else will see it in Canvas. As for creating an individual assignment and it coming over as a link only, i was not aware of that
(0) Kudos
Scholar
Do you know who your CSM is? If you ask your LC or DSS, they may even have an expert on hand who can help, but I think what you and I have come up with will work!
(0) Kudos
View Entire Topic
Scholar

Re: Using LMS Integrated SAM in Canvas, how can I make an...

In canvas you have the option of assigning something to just one student. In the assignment editing options, instead of choosing Everyone, choose that one student:

9-11-2019 4-05-17 PM.png