Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Trick or Treat? Midterm Grades

Hello,

It's almost time for midterm grades to be issued.  I'm curious what tactics are you using to get your students to review their grades and hopefully improve?

Thanks,

Sherri

Accepted Solution
Contributor
Answered

I usually do not have any problems with students checking their Midterm grades (or any grades, like HWs, quizzes, etc.). The challenge lies in making them understand their mistakes and rectify those to perform better in the next exams. For this, I particularly encourage students who did not do well to review their exam with me, so that I can point how how they can improve. Sometimes, I also do a self-assessment for students around the middle of the semester, so that they can reflect upon their understanding of the course materials covered thus far, and think about how they can improve. We also encourage all students to seek extra help in the form of Supplemental Instruction (SI) where they get the opportunity to review and practice more. I teach quantitative topics like Statistics, Data Mining, which needs a lot of practice, and most students at my institution do not have time for that.

Other Answers: 10
Contributor
Answered
We use Starfish at our school. This allows us to send messages or raise flags at any point in the semester. At the mid-point of the semester, we evaluate every student and send them a message. This can be a generic, "canned" message or a personalized message. We can also raise additional flags that alert the student, their advisor, the retention manager and student services, if needed. The message types are: * Keep up the good work - sends an email that begins with "Your instructor has caught you doing good work" and can be customized from there * Academic concerns * General concern - we use this for anything that is not academic or attendance related - I've used this one before when I've noticed a change in participation from a student * Inconsistent attendance * Pacing Issue - if the student is having a hard time keeping pace with an accelerated class We can also use this for referrals for tutoring, retention, conduct intervention, basic skills, etc. We keeps notes within this system and it helps us from semester to semester to address problems with students so we are not repeating the process and can provide continuity/consistency of education.
Contributor
Answered

I do a "transition week" where students reflect on the 1st half of class and then re-evaluate for the weeks to come. I even give them a 3 day window to submit ONE assignment again for a better grade (even if they have a 0).

We are also doing an office hour initiative at our College. This is to encourage students to reach out to instructors if they fall into 1 of the following categories:

In an effort to best support you and your academic success, required office hours are a component of this course if any of the following applies to you as a student:

• If you miss or do not submit an assessment or high-stakes assignment (worth more than 10% of your grade),
  • If you maintain a running/average grade of “C” or lower after the 2nd week of class,
  • If you experience extenuating circumstances, beyond your control, and need to meet with your instructor to get back on track or create a plan to fulfill all requirements of the course.

While the instructor will contact you if any of the above conditions apply, you are encouraged to reach out to your instructor for assistance.  

It has been a great success. We are piloting in ENG/MAT only right now.

Frequent Commenter
Teaching
Business
Answered

I give three mid-term exams.  After the first mid-term, I require that any student who received a D or F must meet with me.  I explain that the purpose of the meeting is to discuss how the student is preparing for the exam.  During the meeting with the student, we identify where the student had issues with the matterial and how he or she can be better prepared for the next mid-term.  This summer I read Teach Students How to Learn by Saundra Yancy McGuire.  After the first mid-term, I shared some of Dr. McGuire's material with the whole class.

Frequent Commenter
Answered

Systemwide we use Navigate to post midterm grades and send out alerts including kudos, tutoring referrals, and grade notifications.

In my classes, I have students set an academic goal for the remainder of the term based upon their midterm grades and their progress so far in the course.

I also offer a Jubilee week over the fall break allowing students to resubmit specific assignments.

Maggie

Contributor
Answered

For MindTap, I remind students to check their "Progress" app so they can see missed grades, upcoming grades, their overall average, and their level of engagement. This provides a visual approach so they can "see" how they are doing not only numerically but also in relation to their peers.

--Audrey

Answered

Term B just started at Seminole State and Spring 2018 enrollment just began!  And it's midterm in my Full Fall Term classes..Smiley Happy.  So what did I do this week?  I reviewed grade analytics in MT and messaged students in Canvas who are less than 70% one message and those with over 70% got a different message.

• For those below a C average, I encouraged them by letting them know what's left in the semester and reviewed how to be successful in the class: turning assignments in early, asking for help, reviewing reports, doing training and resubmitting for better scores before the deadline!
  • For those with a C or better, I congratulated them and encouraged them to keep up the good work and reviewed my tips for success with them as well since they still have a chance of keeping or improving their grade.  
Frequent Commenter
Answered

I recently created a survey through my course management system (Blackboard) and asked questions like "Have you missed assignments that you knew were due? If so, why?" and will be curious to see the answers this week when I administer it. 

Frequent Commenter
Answered

Hello!

My students have their grades available to them through Mindtap and also through our learning management system. I encourage them to check their grades often and don't usually have a problem with them doing so. I show them at the beginning of the semester where to find their grades in both learning paths. Hope that helped.

Frequent Commenter
Answered

I keep all test and quiz grades visible to students using our Learning management System (Canvas). At midterm I manually input all of the completed assignments' average from my Cengage Platform (i-Lrn). We discuss how the homework helps the students apply the concepts from class and how many test sections are set up similarly to the homework. We have a brief discussion over procrastination and how the students can submit their on-line work multiple times for the best grade. I also briefly cover my grading guidelines and go over my office hours with all my classes. I usually close by asking my students, this is where you are now how do you want it to end?

Frequent Commenter
Teaching
Business
Answered

I do a midterm evaluation survey with my students.  There are three questions:

• Please describe the specific things/activities in the course that most contribute to your learning in this class.
  • Please describe one or two specific things that could be changed to improve your learning in this class. 
  • What could you, as a student, do to improve your learning in the class?

The survey is anonymous, and I share a summary of the results with the students.  The first two questions help me to make midterm corrections.  The third question trys to get the students to think about their responsibility and what they could do to improve their grades.