How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on online grading? What are the best methods? Is there Research?

Hello, I'm currently working on a project for the North Carolina Virtual Learning Community where we are assessing grading techniques in online platforms. 

I curious as to what the partners think are the key components to grading in their online courses?  Do you have any handy research articles you have read recently?

View Entire Topic
Audrey_Wick
Valued Contributor

Re: Thoughts on online grading? What are the best methods...

Sherri--

Here is one recent article that looks at a unique way to marry online homework systems that generate auto-graded replies/scoring with peer responses by students:

Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Implementation of Peer-Reviewed Homework Assignments. Contributors: Zare, Richard N. - Author, Cox, Charles T., Jr. - Author, Murphy, Katherine - Author, Bayas, Camille - Author. Journal title: Journal of College Science Teaching. Volume: 46. Issue: 3 Publication date: January-February 2017. Page number: 40. © National Science Teachers Association. COPYRIGHT 2017 Gale Group.

This next article is much simpler (and a bit older), but I like the practical, easy-to-understand advice peer-to-peer about some of the pitfalls of spending too much time grading work and collecting data. I think this would be especially helpful for new instructors to read:

Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Getting a Handle on Grading. Contributors: Romano, Michael - Author. Journal title: The Science Teacher. Volume: 77. Issue: 9 Publication date: December 2010. Page number: 14. © National Science Teachers Association. COPYRIGHT 2010 Gale Group.

Good luck with your research!

--Audrey Wick