How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on online grading? What are the best methods? Is there Research?

Hello, I'm currently working on a project for the North Carolina Virtual Learning Community where we are assessing grading techniques in online platforms. 

I curious as to what the partners think are the key components to grading in their online courses?  Do you have any handy research articles you have read recently?

Great Answers (1)

Great Answers (1)

Audrey_Wick
Valued Contributor

Re: Thoughts on online grading? What are the best methods...

Sherri--

Here is one recent article that looks at a unique way to marry online homework systems that generate auto-graded replies/scoring with peer responses by students:

Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Implementation of Peer-Reviewed Homework Assignments. Contributors: Zare, Richard N. - Author, Cox, Charles T., Jr. - Author, Murphy, Katherine - Author, Bayas, Camille - Author. Journal title: Journal of College Science Teaching. Volume: 46. Issue: 3 Publication date: January-February 2017. Page number: 40. © National Science Teachers Association. COPYRIGHT 2017 Gale Group.

This next article is much simpler (and a bit older), but I like the practical, easy-to-understand advice peer-to-peer about some of the pitfalls of spending too much time grading work and collecting data. I think this would be especially helpful for new instructors to read:

Questia, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. www.questia.com
Publication information: Article title: Getting a Handle on Grading. Contributors: Romano, Michael - Author. Journal title: The Science Teacher. Volume: 77. Issue: 9 Publication date: December 2010. Page number: 14. © National Science Teachers Association. COPYRIGHT 2010 Gale Group.

Good luck with your research!

--Audrey Wick

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Eugene_Matthews
Valued Contributor

If by key components you mean, whethern the core learning objectives are being measured, or whether the unit learning objectives have been met, then what I use as my guide is the rubric. My institution uses Canvas as the LMS for teaching across modalities, and Canvas has an option for the integration of a rubric to grade assignments. 

The student gets to see what they need to do in order to achieve the highest points possible, and understand that if they don't get the score they expected, where they fell short.

I find this extremely helpful in grading writing assignments online. In addition to using TurnitIn.com and including grammar, spelling and sentence structure feedback, students get to see what they did well and where they can improve.

If this does not answer your question, please feel free to elaborate and I'll try again.

Cheers!
~
Eugene

You can't beat Cengage Auto Grading tools (like SAM) and LMS grade sync for immediate feedback to students.  SAM reports are invaluable because they provide rubric on what was graded or missed and allows resubmission for better grade!!

sinjini_mitra
Contributor

Online grading and assessment is becoming popular by the day, so this is a very relevant question in my mind. Although we often grade online and traditional class assignments in the same manner, I beleive that there are some aspects that have to be taken into account particularly for online classes. For example, rubrics that are clearly outlined and easy to understand should be tied to every online assignment - LMS like Blackboars and Moodle often provide some basic rubrics that can be adapted and modified suitably for your purpose. Also, clear communications with students is important so that they understand the assignment and the grading process. Authentication of student work may also be carried out to ensure that the enrolled student did the submitted work himself or herself.

Here's an e-book I found:

https://hello.blackbaud.com/rs/053-MXJ-131/images/11043_JonathanMartin_eBook.pdf

These are some of the things I keep in mind while grading online assignments, so wanted to share. If this is not what you are looking for, and have more specific questions, please ask!

Sinjini

SheilaBlower
Frequent Commenter

I don't know that I fully understand your question. What do you mean by "the key components to grading in their on-line courses?" I don't grade differenly on-line than I do inseat so I am not sure what you are working to achieve with your question. Can you be more specific or give an example to illustrate?