on 08-22-2018 09:32 PM
I have been going through the eBook to get ready for the course with HORIZONS, 7th edition. As the program coordinator I have been fielding questions from my adjuncts all day. Everyone has the system check. NO problem. I realized that in my earlier question, no one came even CLOSE to "solving" the problem, but people checked off the solution. Solution for whom? I asked the question and the answer was not helpful and did not solve the problem. I did figure out that the book on the right column is like a textbook with no links and to use the audio and video links the ebook option under the content menu dashboard must be used. Okay. BUT the problem is thus: I enrolled as a student in my own class. Clicked on the vocabulary pronunciation for chapter one, but the list of words given and the sound files do not correspond. The first category that is READ is actually the second category that is printed. The second category that is read is the first printed category. In the Chapitre preliminaire there is an audio icon for an activity, but when the audio file is activated it is the audio for an entirely different activity that I couldn't find. How do you expect a true beginner to cope with this? There are NO files other than these imbedded files and they do not match the text. This is a total NIGHTMARE. We start classes on Monday with a very expensive textbook and lab that will be nothing but confusing. My adjuncts are hysterical already and I, again , deeply regret this decision. Time to look into switching back to Pearson. At least MyFrenchLab had audio files that were in the right place. This is nuts. Will this be fixed before Monday? Someone in your tech office needs to go through this entire eBook and make sure that the files correspond to the text they are supposed to be reading.
08-23-2018 08:48 AM - edited 08-23-2018 08:53 AM
I responded a few minutes ago to the other thread, encouraging you to contact your learning consultant and tech support as Sandy suggested. I just want to write again with a little moral support. You must be pulling your hair out! What a terrible way to start the semester.
I'm with you on the way responses here can be marked as solutions when they really didn't fix anything. I think sometimes these things are just being verified as good advice or a good place to start - and I'm not sure who marks them! For the most part, we're just other faculty sharing what has worked for us in the past, or maybe providing an inside track to getting the best help. We also give lots of moral support!
If you've never worked with tech support before, the very quickest way to get the maximum response is to go to https://cengageportal.secure.force.com/Support and create a ticket. You have to jump through a few hoops to complete the form, but the most important thing is the description of the problem. There is also a spot where you can include other people on the ticket, and I always enter my learning consultant's email address. Very shortly after you submit the ticket, you'll receive a case ID. As soon as you get the case ID, pick up the phone and call them at 800-354-9706. I know you'll tell them the scope of the problem (multiple instructors, all sections, every student unable to use the text in a meaningful way). My guess is they'll escalate it to the next level of support staff very quickly, or maybe even to the production team.
The other critical player here is your learning consultant. He or she has a vested interest in making this work for you. They should see the ticket in their email and then be copied in on any electronic exchanges with tech support. If this were happening to me, I'd be on the phone with my learning consultant immediately.
Hang in there and please let us know how it goes.