Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amy_Myers
Contributor

MindTap grade syncing?

Is anybody else having trouble getting their MindTap grades to sync into their Brightspace (D2L) gradebook?  I've been doing this successfully for years, but they're not syncing in any of my sections this semester.  Brightspace just underwent a "facelift" and there have been some changes in MindTap, so I'm wondering if there's an internal glitch somewhere.  Even an attempt at a manual sync didn't work!

Amy

Amy_Myers
Contributor
I think I'll try a tech support ticket and let my LC know. He's exceptionally good with the tech stuff! It really seems like an internal glitch to me, maybe something they'll see with other faculty, too. Thanks, all!
(0) Kudos
Scholar
LET us know the resolution please! It might help the rest of us out..:)
(0) Kudos
Amy_Myers
Contributor
@Sandy_Keeter, the comment this morning from @Matthew_Anneken is incredibly helpful. My LC and I have been able to make some manual adjustments that have gotten the ball rolling, but I'll be following up on Michael's comment. I hope things are going well for you!

Great Answers (2)

Great Answers (2)

Re: MindTap grade syncing?

The issue is related to courses that were built using Cengage content prior to an update that was deployed by Cengage in October 2017. With current Fall courses, the issue is prevalent for D2L courses copied from a prior term (pre-Oct 2017). This can be reported to Cengage Technical Support. Our LMS support team is currently fixing the courses for Fall 2018 that have reported an issue.  I also recommend to reach out to your Learning Consultant and inform them of the tech support case. 

It’s likely courses for Spring may need to be rebuilt to make sure the same issue doesn’t occur again. To fix the problem for courses going forward, you can use this guide to get started. You can also confirm whether a course needs to be rebuilt from very easily from within the Brightspace course by following the steps in the attached guide.

Hello,

We just underwent a Moodle update and are having a few issues as well.  When I called tech support yesterday MindTap had also gone through an update.  I recommend opening a support ticket.  They can help you sort through tech issues especially between platforms.

Hope this helps.

Sherri

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Audrey_Wick
Valued Contributor

Hello, @Amy_Myers

I just wanted to follow up on this concern with grade syncing. 

I am getting used to the BrightSpace changes in D2L, and I have now found this explanation that may be helpful to you as well: https://documentation.brightspace.com/EN/bag/-/instructor/android_sync_le_with_bag.htm

In short, "You must explicitly release the evaluation information to learners by tapping Publish All in the submission list view or Publish in the individual submission view. When the grades and feedback you have applied are released to learners, the grading status of the submissions changes to Published."

Hope this helps!

--Audrey 

Audrey_Wick
Valued Contributor

Hello, @Amy_Myers,

I appreciate you posting about this. We use Desire2Learn with the new Brightspace "facelift" at my college, and while we were told that the updates would provide a fresh interface, we are finding there are some functional changes that are causing us to relearn how to do certain things. For instance, email is slightly different for us, as are third-party connections like those with MindTap, Turnitin dropbox integrations, etc.

If you haven't already done so, speak with your institution's Tech. Support to see if there's an additional step to perform grade syncing in this new D2L/Brightspace environment. I can't currently speak to that because I am using MindTap stand-alone: my students complete the business side of the course in D2L (announcements/overviews/emails/general help discussions), and then they log-in to MindTap to complete the academic side of the course (reading the ebook/Aplia assignments/CNOW activities/research and tutoring/essay submissions). The full Progress app and gradebook is working just fine for me in MindTap standalone, so as a temporary work-around to the issue you are experiencing, you should be able to fall back on using that. Maybe even using the import/export feature in the meantime will keep you moving forward until the D2L gradebook gets back on track. 

However, if you or anyone else reading this thread learns something new regarding grade syncing in D2l?Brightspace, please post. I know that will be helpful to other instructors in the same boat as us with these LMS changes.  🙂

--Audrey

Scholar

I had issues two weeks ago because we had a TA in our LMS who did not have "grading rights" so every time she entered MT the syncing did not occur until I crossed over from our LMS to MT.  Tech support helped us figure out the issue and now we've got a workaround in our LMS.  I know it's frustrating for you and your students when there is a hiccup, especially at the beginning of the semester so I hope you get this resolved soon!