Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at Cengage. Have used Wiley for years. Pros/Cons of Cengage?

We're a MN 2 Yr College.  We teach ACCT:

• Looking at Cengage given some of the Unlimited ideas to save students costs.  
  • Pros to Cengage
  • Cons of Cengage
  • Other important considerations:
    • Content value of Warren Reeves FIN MAN text vs others--Weygandt/WileyPLUS
    • Ease and versatility of Exam creation:
      • OL and In-Class
    • Have you used the Adaptive Learning tool(s)
    • How's the Homework selection?
  • Mindtap--your experience in ACCT classes?
View Entire Topic

Re: Looking at Cengage. Have used Wiley for years. Pros/C...

Great question. While I teach English and am a chair at a community college in Mississippi, my undergraduate degree actually is in accounting (but that's a story for another day).

Like you, I helped direct a few years ago a departmental-wide switch of digital learning materials from another publisher to Cengage. From that experience, I might suggest you add another consideration to your list. It's one that for me has been Cengage's biggest "pro" point. 

Adopting new technology platforms always comes with learning curves and the inevitable hiccup or two. While I love Cengage's materials for English, the separation in its content from the content of its competitors, while better, in my opinion, was not necessarily deal breaking.

What was was clearly deal breaking, and where Cengage had markedly better separation from its competitors, was in its support,  and by support, I mean its people.  The training Cengage provided, the accessibility when questions popped up, the quick response times, all of it. From having been in a very bad situation with a previous publisher to being in a very good situation with Cengage, all I can say is that great content with poor support equals not so good content. 

I hope your search for materials goes well!  

Greg Underwood

Dept. Chair--English

Pearl River Community College--Forrest County Center

Hattiesburg , MS