on 08-22-2018 12:37 PM
Is it possible to export or download the finished outline in MindTap Outline Builder? In the past I've used a tool in my university's LMS to automatically check outlines for plagiarism. I am going to miss that feature in MindTap and would like to require my students to export the outline into a Word or PDF file and then run it through SafeAssign. Is that possible?
08-22-2018 02:55 PM - edited 08-22-2018 02:56 PM
Yes, it is possible.
I use (and love) Outline Builder so want students to use it. BUT, as my text does not have a plagiarism detection software link and I prefer to have TAs use a rubric, I do the following:
1. Create an assignment in my LMS. Add the rubric and turn on the plagiarism detection option.
2. Create an outlining assignment in MindTap. Set it to be a practice activity. Alternately, if you are deep linking to your LMS, you can leave it as a graded assignment and uncheck the option to add the assignment to your LMS gradebook.
3. Instruct students to complete their outlines in MindTap and then when they finish, have them choose the option to print their work. MindTap will create a beautifully-formatted document.
4. Instruct students to either choose print to pdf, or have them copy and paste the document into Microsoft word and save on their computer.
5. Finally, have students submit their completed outlines to the LMS dropbox for grading.
You will be able to tell if they used Outline Builder because of the formatting...
I agree that it's a bit clunky to have to do it this way, but my guess is that eventually, Cengage will add a rubric function to Outline Builder. In my experience, the quality of outlines is so improved that it's worth a bit of extra effort to have students use it.