How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ltrauth

I no longer use MindTap but cannot remove MT columns from BB Learn Gradebook even though all links are removed from the course

My department moved to a different publisher last summer.  No problem in most of my courses.  But in one class, even though I removed ALL MindTap activity links from the class, I cannot delete them from the gradebook.   There are a LOT of them and I just want them gone....   

Sure I can hide them, but they are all worth points and are throwing off the gradebook total.   I don't really want to go through and edit each one to reduce the points to zero or make sure they aren't adding to the total.  You have to do that 1-by-1 in Blackboard.  

Blackboard Learn 9.1 is the LMS.   Again, all folders of MindTap activities are GONE from the course - the Links are GONE and have been since AUGUST!.  But the gradebook columns are still there and Blackboard thinks they are linked to something, so will not let me delete them.   

Any suggestions are appreciated!  

Laura

Great Answers (1)

Great Answers (1)

diane_carter
Contributor

Re: I no longer use MindTap but cannot remove MT columns...

I have had this problem and although I *thought* I had removed all the links, the system sure didn't think so! When I contacted Cengage tech support, they indicated that courses stay linked and there was nothing to be done about it. However, I never give up, so I kept trying. 

Here's what finally worked:  I asked our IT folks to create a brand new prep space for me in BbLearn. I copied the problematic course into the prep space. Then, before I did anything else, I went to the gradebook and was then able to delete those pesky columns.  My guess is that as long as I was starting by linking to my new text, there  was some communication with Cengage going on and that was telling BbLearn that the courses were linked (apparently, it is possible to link to more than one text  at a time). By deleting the grade book columns first, BbLearn had no information about course linking yet and I was able to fool the system.

Good luck!

Diane

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Audrey_Wick
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the follow up, Laura.

Now I understand the issue better. Yes, having a Learning Management System that truly never deletes anything is both a blessing and a curse! Smiley Happy Hang in there.

It sounds like the suggestion @diane_carter provided for tricking the system is going to be the best bet. The good news is that you can likely do this before your class gets populated with students for the upcoming semester. Good luck, and let us know how it works, @ltrauth.

Fingers crossed for success,

--Audrey

Scholar

It’s just a matter of removing the assignment links from blackboard as @Audrey_Wick mentioned. This video might be helpful as well as the pdf she attached: 

https://youtu.be/QODPaQCzXfI

Good luck with this! For more help, you can contact Cengage Support. 

ltrauth

Thank you Audrey,

I have gone to the grade center and then to the Manage Columns page and attempted to select all of these Mindtap activities that no longer link to anything in my course.  I try to delete them and nothing happens.  So clearly BB thinks they ARE still linked to something in my course, though there are absolutely NO Mindtap links anywhere - I have double and triple checked.   

My Blackboard course is not linked to any MindTap course at all.  I suppose I could try re-linking it, readding all the excercises, then deleting them all AGAIN, but that could leave me with 2x as many useless columns in my grade center.  

And yes, I can bulk-hide them from my students or myself, but they are still there messing up the total points.   To keep them from affecting the point total, I would have to one-at-a-time edit each separate Mindtap column.   Now, in the US history Mindtap product for Norton (US History) there are 6-9 exercises PER CHAPTER and we cover 13 or so chapters....    So that would take a VERY long time. 

I'm hoping someone here knows a trick for this - is there some hidden Mindtap link somewhere that isn't visible?   I've checked to make sure the course isn't connected and it's not.  But something left over from when I deleted everything?    I don't need to know how to link my class to MindTap.  I did that for 5 years, every semester.  I need to know how to get rid of "phantom" gradebook columns!

Thanks,

Laura

Audrey_Wick
Valued Contributor

Hello, @ltrauth,

Sounds like you are getting ready for the next semester. That's great news!  :-)  Glad you reached-out here for assistance. Let's see if I can help.

If you don't want to individually edit, have you tried the "bulk edit" action in the Blackboard gradebook? You should be able to bulk edit columns and delete the activities that are still showing from MindTap.

You should also be able to "deselect" the gradebook association from the Content Selector. Look for the "Add to Gradebook" notice in the Content Selector, and make sure the green check mark does NOT appear so that the links don't carry. See this MindTap to Blackboard .pdf file for more information.

Hope this helps, but let us know if you need more guidance or further assistance.

--Audrey