How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jenny_Billings
Valued Contributor

How do you successfully integrate Aplia in your courses?

We have been using Aplia for years now; unfortunately, our instructors and students are not really that impressed!

We have found that both students dread their assignments in Aplia (not interactive, the readings are not engaging, the platform seems outdated, etc.) and because of this, instructors dread assigning Aplia assignments to students.

How do you use Aplia in your courses? We are considering offering those assignments as extra credit and to help students improve from Pre to Post tests (diagnostics in Aplia). Do we know if there is an alternative to Aplia on the horizon (or improvements made to Aplia)?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Great Answers (1)

Great Answers (1)

Rajone_Lyman
Contributor

Re: How do you successfully integrate Aplia in your courses?

Jenny,

You are not alone in your struggle.  My chair asks me to conduct trainings with faculty for this precise concern.  Here are a few tips that I would suggest.  

1) Only require students to practice the skills that need strengthening.  The Aplia with ISP allows for this individualized instruction to occur throuhgh the initial assessment.

2) Use their additional practice to strengthen those who may need added support.

3) Ask students to highlight or share readings together in class and exempt the practice in Aplia to move through the skills quickly.

4) Incorporate small group activities with grammar practice.

I always tell my students that the practice is important but make sure they do their best on the assessment so that they can reduce the amount of work throughout the term.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for what to come!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

EmilyJBeard
Commenter

Hello,

I use Aplia as a type of reading check or reading comprehension activity for my students. I assign the reading and then the Aplia exercise to make sure my students are understanding the material. Sometimes I will also assign Aplia exercises at the start of a semester to check on where my students are entering the class. I can use them as a check-point to know what I need to cover in class. Other times, I will assign specific Aplia exercises to specific students who may be struggling with specific concepts. This gives them the practice they need.

Cengage
Cengage

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for this candid feedback. What do you think of the new JUST IN TIME PLUS module in MindTap for English? Do the video tutorials and quick text reviews provide more engaging, not so boring content for your students? I would love to hear your ideas on how we can improve!

Thanks,

Kina