How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cengage
Cengage

How do you structure the course to ensure all students use the adopted digital product?

One of our schools here in Michigan is using MindTap for the first time this semester, for a large Intro Psych course. The lead instructor was curious to hear from experienced users as to how to ensure that all students in the course are actively engaging with the digital content/assignments in MindTap. Is there a threshold in the % of overall grade that is the tipping point for 100% participation? She needs to be able to show that the pass grades have improved with digital, and worries that assigning digital will be a problem if ALL students do not register. Thank you!

View Entire Topic
sinjini_mitra
Contributor

Re: How do you structure the course to ensure all student...

I usually allocate 8-10% of the total grades to CNOW-based assignments, and typically I have 100% participation (sometimes 1-2 don't bother, and I don't think that increasing the % a little more would help with those). It is important also to provide students with all detailed information about the HW Platform - how to set up and register, how to access the HWs, grading details, other tools that accompany the product (students typically like the e-book option that comes with it), how to get technical support help if needed, etc. From my experience, if students face difficulties with any of the above issues, they are more likely to not use the product or stop using it midway too. So, apart from grades, I feel that instructors need to provide adequate documentation to make the user experience smooth, either in the syllabus or on the course website or on both.