How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you inform students about how you'll use tech?

Curious about the best way to inform your students about the tech tool you're going to use during the semester. Anything in addition to putting a note about it in your syllabus (especially in the grading area)?

Also: has any one created a video for your students that tells them how and why you're using the tool?  Just want to make sure I get students off on the right foot.  

Any resources you want to share are much appreciated!

Great Answers (1)

Great Answers (1)

sinjini_mitra
Valued Contributor

Re: How do you inform students about how you'll use tech?

Great question, Michael! I believe the more ways we can inform students about the tech tools to be used in a course, the better. Definitely have a note on the syllabus but it's also important to highlight these on the course website, either as a blurb (with pictures) or with a screencast video. Another thing that has worked for me is to introduce the tool in the class as well (for face to face classes), which can either be as simple as just playing the video (that is already on the website) or talking about it's features and functionalities. Students should have instructions on how to start using them, how to contact technical support (if needed) and a few easy troubleshooting tips for commons issues and problems. It is particularly important for online classes. Students should feel comfortable using these tools to be successful in the course.

It is also helpful for students to understand how these tech tools help them complete course activities and assignments and achieve their learning outcomes.

I look forward to learning about more ways we can introduce tech tools to students!

Sinjini

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Jenny_Billings
Valued Contributor

I do quite a few things:

1. I list the technology components in the syllabus, course calendar, welcome message, and course addendum. I also use a lot of helpful images, such as:
  2. I have the instructions on how to create a student account with Cengage on the technology deep link in my LMS.
  3. I make 5-minute Jing videos introducing students to the technology they are about to use. I keep them under 5-minutes and per topic to make sure students will watch them. An example is here: http://www.screencast.com/t/WWTsU4ewT
  4. I use REMIND to alert students of new requirements, due dates, dealines, and to allow them to "chat" with me without giving out my cell number.
  5. I am very patient and answer all their questions. I never get frustrated or short with students. If I stay calm, so do they...and in turn, they are more successful!

Thanks for the question!

Eugene_Matthews
Valued Contributor

Hey Michael - to expand on my response to your question regarding a video introduction to MindTap, you could absolutely apply the same tools to create an inviting introductory screencast video to welcome students to your course. I use this in my syllabi across modalities, and when my students meet me for the first time face to face, they already have a good idea of what to expect in the course.

To add another level (depending on your LMS), you can add a photo of yourself with the link below it. 

Since we only get one chance to make a first impression, we might as well make the most of it!

Good luck!
~
Eugene

Joey_Bryant
Contributor

I give written instructions on how to access and use the tools. I usually provide a link to a Cengage tutorial of the tool, if there is one available that I like and describes the way I want to use it. Sometimes the one that is available uses a different LMS or does not describe the way I will be use the tool, so I will create my own video and place it in the LMS. The courses I set up are rolled out to adjunct faculty as well, so the videos have to be for more than just my students. These videos allow me to include information that will also help the off-site adjuncts as well.
sinjini_mitra
Valued Contributor

It is very important to let students know about the different tech tools that you will be using in the course, along with how these tools help students acheive the learning outcomes. I include details in the syllabus, on the course website, disucss this in the class at the beginning of the course. Creating a video to show how to "get started" with this tool can also be helpful, particularly for online classes, along with tutorial videos (if available). Moreover, it is important to include all pertinent details about technical support for these tools so that students can get help in case of any difficulties. From my experience, it never hurts to let students know via multiple ways about the tech tools to be used in the course.