How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you handle group testing in a large classroom setting?

Hello. This is Mary Ann Parrott, LC in Raleigh, NC. I have a question from one of my dear clients. Any ideas here?

The only other challenge I am facing is the group quizzes, which are conducted in the classroom.  Last year, I had to pull five questions from the test bank pool and then rearrange the question answers so that they matched the scratch-off sheets.  Then, everything had to be put into PPT. While this sounds simple, it was very time consuming—at least two or more hours per chapter. In addition, the answer scratch-off sheets are very expensive.  I am
wondering if by chance you can think of a way to create that in-class group quiz in a more simple
fashion.

View Entire Topic
Donna_Donald
Contributor

Re: How do you handle group testing in a large classroom...

I teach large (100+) sections of gen-ed history. I stopped giving in-class quizzes a few years ago and switched to Blackboard. Since adopting MindTap, I no longer have to worry about quizzes. The students read the chapter and take the quiz before we discuss the material in class. I've enjoyed the extra class time since it opens up opportunities for more active learning.

For testing, I have used a classroom response system (e.g. clickers). There is a self-paced option where students use a paper test and record their answers with their response device. No scantrons! Our university recently switched from Turning Technologies clickers to Top Hat. Students use their phone, tablet, or laptop to respond to test questions. I also use this for in-class activities.

Using MindTap has encouraged me to find a way to productively incorporate devices into the classroom learning experience. In any given class period, my students use their phone or other device at least four or five times to access the MindTap mobile app and/or Top Hat.