How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amy_Myers
Contributor

Dropping a student in MindTap.... Pros and Cons?

I think this has come up before, but I can't find the earlier conversation.  I will be withdrawing one of my students at midterm for non-participation (as per my school's policy), and I know how to drop her in MindTap, but it seems like someone mentioned a reason to reconsider dropping the student from the MindTap roster.  Does anybody remember this? 

Amy

Amy_Myers
Contributor
Does anybody know what happens when we drop a student? Are their records preserved? Can we reinstate them? Do they completely lose access?
(0) Kudos

Great Answers (1)

Great Answers (1)

Jenny_Billings
Valued Contributor

Re: Dropping a student in MindTap.... Pros and Cons?

Good question...

Personally, I leave students in MindTap in the case of a grade appeal, etc. I always want all of that information as accessible as possible (as a just in case). Having all of their activity present is better in my mind. My students only access MindTap through Blackboard (inclusive access) -- even though, they could access it through other means, sure. Plus, we have even seen students go in (through the App) and continue to read/practice -- which, in turn, helped them with their future retake of the course!

I also like for the student's Cengage account to have record of the MindTap courses they have been enrolled in (that will especially be important when Cengage Unlimited is available to students - for example, if they want to put texts in their digital locker for safekeeping).

Best,

JBB

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Amy,

I'm the one who brought up the alternative.  We have had students state that they paid for the content (much like paying for the book) and wanted to take advantage of it for their period.  We block them in our LMS and then leave them in MindTap.  If they make the effort to log on and use the text more power to them.  We've had two that I know go back in and read the book.

Hope that helps.

Sherri

lisa_boragine
Contributor

Personally, I always drop students from MindTap once I have dropped them or they have withdrawn from the course. I provide quizzes and other assignments on MindTap, and I don't want someone to have access to that material who is not enrolled in the class. In addition, because I use the MindTap gradebook, I find it frustrating to see students listed in the MindTap who are no longer in the course. It makes manual grading more cumbersome.

Even after I have dropped the student, their grades don't disappear. In fact, a feature in the gradebook allows you to show their grades.

Yes, they have paid for the text, but I have heard that if a student doesn't complete a course (withdraws or drops) depending on the circumstances, Cengage might provide the student with a new course code that they can use to re-enroll in the same course. I don't believe that this feature is provided to those students who have not been officially dropped from the MindTap course. 

For all these reasons, I think it makes sense to drop them from MindTap if they are no longer in the course.

Hi,

I like to keep them enrolled in case of an appeal and they have paid for the text.  Mindtap gives them access to research apps that they need.

Hope this helps.

Sherri