How to Sign In
Ask a Faculty Partner Expert
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have research statistics on how little college students REALLY know about MSOffice?

They think they know it, but really are not that proficient.  I'm going to my Dean with requests from our Industry Advisors to make it a requirement by all students at our College.  We're also hoping to get involved with a SAM Challenge as a pre-test at the beginning of the semester for all students, just to prove how little they know!

Great Answers (1)

Great Answers (1)

Maggie_Major
Contributor

Re: Does anyone have research statistics on how little co...

The most recent quantitative study that I know of was completed in 2009. The results found that students have a good handle on basic skills, however, expertise decreases with moderate and advanced skills (Grant, Malloy, & Murphy, 2009). (See the attached table.)

Qualitative studies suggest that student expertise with word processing software is decreasing with the increased usage of mobile technology (Hoffman, 2010).

References

Grant, D. M., Malloy, A. D., & Murphy, M. C. (2009). A Comparison of Student Perceptions of their Computer Skills to their Actual Abilities. Journal Of Information Technology Education8141-160.

Hoffman, S. J. (2010). Teaching the humanities online: a practical guide to the virtual classroom. Retrieved from http://ebookcentral.proquest.com

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Greg_Gellene
Commenter

Hi Sandy,

I cannot speak to community college students, but I can comment on general chemistry laboratory students at Texas Tech University.  It has become necessary to provide very detailed, essentially click-by-click, instructions for producing a chart (aka graph) in Excel.  These charts are not especially involved ususally consisting of a scatter plot with labeled axes and sometimes a trendline analysis.  Nevertheless, an ever increasing fraction of incoming students were unable to produce the charts without assistance.

Jenny_Billings
Valued Contributor

No, but being an ENG instructor, I'd love to know/be part of this discussion. I end up putting lots of how-to "mash-up" videos in Bb to help students with Word. Many of them do not know how to use comments, tracked changes, templates, headers, page numbers, etc. Formats are even hard to teach because they do not know how to format essays within Word. I also find myself meeting with students, A LOT, to teach them how to use Word effectively so points are not taken off. This is especially important since I teach Comp I. Any pilots, studies....anything revolving around this topic...I'm in!

sinjini_mitra
Contributor

From informal surveys that I have done in my classes, I find that students are quite adept at Word and Powerpoint but their expertise and skills vary greatly for Excel. For example, I have seen students (including transfer students that come from Community Colleges) with little to no knowledge of even the basic Excel functions but have also seen students with quite advanced knowledge of Excel. Most of the latter students are those that regularly use Excel in their work. A lot of international students also have limited knowledge of Excel, in my experience.

The courses I teach require extensive Excel skills and we teach some of them too. In most cases, we just assume that students have no knowledge of Excel and design our lessons accordingly. Still some students are found to struggle.

Joey_Bryant
Contributor

I do not have any statistics, but I can tell you that 95% of those who take our proficiency test - using SAM for the test-out - fail. We have 2 components to the test - concepts and tasks - and they have to pass both parts. We get a lot of feedback that the tasks in Office 2016 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) are more advanced that what the "casual user" would know.

Hi There Sandy and all,

Just think about developmental students for a moment. I believe that the high schools have deleted the Microsoft/computer course from the curriculum. The first week, I will be discussing simple computer tasks and how to send an e-mail through our learning mangement system.

I am with you on the crusade to require a pretest to see how much they actually know. I would love for students taking an online course to have an orientation before signing up for the class.