• Coworking

Many people think that working remotely from home is the ideal work situation. But, research by Emergent Research shows that coworking is the ideal.

Coworking spaces are shared, member-based work spaces where remote corporate workers, startup employees, freelancers, and others “work alone together.” Members overcome loneliness by working, networking, learning, and socializing together. 

Key findings from Emergent's surveys of coworking space members show that:

• 87% of respondents report that they meet other members for social reasons, with 54% saying they socialize with other members after work and/or on weekends
    • 79% said coworking has expanded their social networks
    • 83% report that they are less lonely since joining a coworking space
    • 89% report that they are happier since joining a coworking space

Additionally, professional ties are strongly enhanced by membership in a coworking space:

• 82% of respondents reported that coworking has expanded their professional networks
    • 80% reported that they turn to other coworking members for help or guidance
    • 64% said their coworking networking was an important source of work and business referrals

What is your ideal work situation?

Explain whether or not you would want to work remotely.

• Future Proof Your Career

In the video above, Dorie Clark says that the only true job security is a “portfolio career.” This means to diversify your income streams. Clark practices this. She is an adjunct professor at Duke University, author (Entrepreneurial You, Reinventing You, and Stand Out), consultant, speaker, and branding expert.

How can a “portfolio career” be key to job security?

How will you diversify your income streams?

• Global Telework Survey Results

PGI published their 2016 Global Telework Survey. Knowledge workers from around the world were asked about their telecommuting habits and the overall state of remote work.

• What collaboration and conferencing tools are workers using?
    • Has telecommuting achieved mainstream acceptance around the globe?
    • What are today's habits - and attitudes - of teleworkers?
    • Are these your telework habits?

GTS Download Button

• Disney-Fox Deal

If Disney and 21st Century Fox are allowed to form a studio, it will be almost twice as large as its strongest competitor Warner Bros.
    What might keep the regulatory authorities from approving the deal?
  • Feminism is 2017 Word of the Year

The 2017 word of the year, according to Merriam-Webster, is feminism, "the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes; also, organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests."

Each year, since 2003, Merriam-Webster has published a list of 10 words from the English language. The word of the year is determined by website searches and by an online poll.

What happened in politics, business, and entertainment during 2017 to bring more attention to the word feminism?

Why should managers be concerned with women's rights?

• Oil and Gas Industry

oil-gas-industry-infographic.png

The oil and gas industry has some of the most dangerous jobs. Managers must make sure that safety controls exist on each work site before work begins. 

Why are jobs in the oil and gas industry so dangerous?

What is the biggest threat to worker safety?

What are the most cited OSHA standards related to the industry?

• Holiday Office Party Do's and Don'ts

G&A HOLIDAY INFOGRAPHIC5

G&A Partners created a “Holiday Office Party Dos & Don’ts” infographic.

How can you survive the potential pitfalls of the annual office party?

• 2 Interviewing Questions you need to answer

Marco Zappacosta, of Co-founder of Thumbtack, says that there are two big interviewing questions that you need to answer when you are recruiting people:

1. Does this person have the technical talent to do the job well?
    2. How good a fit are they with my organization?

But, what if you are the interviewee? What do you ask when the recruiter says, "Do you have any questions for me?"

Lori Goler, the VP of People at Facebook, says that she posed this question to Sheryl Sandberg when she was hoping to get a job at Facebook. She asked: "What is your biggest problem and can I help solve it?"

Identify a company where you would like to find a job. Will you ask, "What is your biggest problem and can I help solve it?" Explain.

• Speak up!

In the video above, Luvvie Ajayi isn't afraid to speak her mind or to be the one dissenting voice in a crowd. "Your silence serves no one," says the writer, activist and self-proclaimed professional troublemaker. Ajayi shares three questions to ask yourself if you're teetering on the edge of speaking up or quieting down -- and encourages all of us to get a little more comfortable with being uncomfortable. One: Did you mean it? Two: Can you defend it? Three: Did you say it with love? If the answer is yes to all three, I say it and let the chips fall. That's important. That checkpoint with myself always tells me, "Yes, you're supposed to do this."

When did you know that you should stand up and speak out and tell the truth?

Did you do it? Why?