• 5 Best Online Businesses to Start

What skills do you have to start an online business?

Explain which business you would like to own.

• Why Some CEOs Perform Better than Others

What makes some CEOS and leaders perform better than others? ghSMART consultant Elena Lytkina Botelho explains that successful CEOs and leaders exhibit fast decision making, good relationship management, reliability, and the ability to adapt. "It's much more about what you do and what your behaviors are, and the skills and abilities that you develop in your life as opposed to traits that you happen to be born with." 

Visit their website for a self-assessment for these behaviors.

How do you rate on these four essential behaviors?

• A Personal Website and Blog

CMS Comparison Chart 2017

Today, it is a good idea to have your blog on your own Website, the ideal platform through which to showcase your thought leadership. In that way, you can control your "brand." By committing to write blog posts on a regular basis, you can show your expertise. This does not need not take a huge amount of time if you focus on creating short and concise posts.

When you decide to start a blog, you will have to choose a content management system. Make A Website Hub created an in-depth infographic to show the pros and cons of  WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal

What expertise will you showcase on your blog?

How might a writing blog help you get a job?

Explain which content management system you would recommend.

• The Power of Reviews

When Amazon first began letting customers post reviews of products in 1995, many businesses thought it was a big mistake. Before that, consumers only had word-of-mouth and ads to find out about products. In other words, the only sources of information were friends and family, and of course, advertisements. Today, customer reviews are common, and a Web site that does not have feedback loops might be considered irrelevant. In fact, millions of consumers have posted reviews.

In the video above, TripAdvisor explains the power of reviews for travelers.

Managers should make sure that the website for a business and its products include factual statements that can be verified. Consumers should look for facts and compare consumer reviews with professional reviews.

When writing a review, give as much information as you can. Share personal details of how you were affected. Why are you giving the review? What is the product? What was promised? How well did the product achieve those goals? What did you like? What did you not like? Was it a good value for the money? Evaluate the whole product including packaging, and quality.

Use photographs when applicable. 

Be honest, but fair.  Remember that you are influencing others that might like this item even if it is not to your own particular taste.  

• Styles of Leadership

leadership-styles

Managers need to lead teams and knowing which leadership style works best for your team is important to successful management.

Explain which style of leadership works best with you: Autocratic, Laissez-faire, Participative, Transactional, or Transformational.

• Bill Gates: Fields with the most potential to change the world

Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft, recommends three fields in which this year's graduates can make an impact:

1. Artificial intelligence

2. Energy

3. Biosciences

Why does Gates recommend the fields of artificial intelligence, energy, and biosciences?

How are might these fields change the world?

In which field or industry do you want to be a manager?

Explain how you might find businesses in those industries.

• How to deal with failure and bad situations

Jocko Willink was the commander of US Navy SEAL Team 3 Task Unit Bruiser in 2006 in Iraq. In the podcast above, Willink explains that he developed a habit that could annoy his troops, but it could also motivate them.

"One of my direct subordinates, one of my guys that worked for me, he would call me up or pull me aside with some major problem, some issue that was going on. And he'd say, 'Boss, we've got this, and that, and the other thing.' And I'd look at him and I'd say, 'Good.'

"And finally one day he was telling me about some issue that he was having, some problem, and he said, 'I already know what you're going to say.'

"And I said, 'Well, what am I going to say?'

"He said, 'You're gonna say, Good. He said, 'That's what you always say. When something is wrong and going bad, you always just look at me and say, Good.'"

"When things are going bad, don't get all bummed out. Don't get startled, don't get frustrated. If you can say the word good, guess what? It means you're still alive. It means you're still breathing. And if you're still breathing, well then hell, you've still got some fight left in you. So get up, dust off, reload, re-calibrate, reengage, and go out on the attack."

How does saying "Good" help someone find a way to grow from a failure?

How does saying "Good" challenge someone to overcome a difficulty?

When will you say "Good"?

• Graduation and Pomp and Circumstance

The song played at every graduation, "Pomp & Circumstance," comes from the British Empire's quest for gold and diamonds, explains Phil Edwards. The song was used at King Edward VII's coronation, and spread further after being played at Yale University when its composer, Edward Elgar, received an honorary degree.

What is the relationship between the British Empire and Pomp and Circumstance played at graduation?

What do you remember about your graduation?

Do you remember the songs played at graduation?

What might make graduation or any celebration more memorable?

What songs were played at your graduation?

• To Be Resilient, Don’t Be Too Virtuous

Psychologist Adam Grant is a Wharton professor and the New York Times bestselling author. In his commencement speech at Utah State University, discusses why it is possible to have too much of a good thing. 

What is missing from most graduation speeches?

What is resilience? How can you use feedback?

To be resilient, how will you find the right amount of generosity and authenticity and grit?

How will you stay true to yourself?

How can you appreciate diversity?

• You don't have to be a manager to be a leader

Liz Ryan at Forbes reminds us that subject-matter experts can take the traditional executive path, but they aren't required to deal with managing people, budgets, and the like. Subject-matter experts are sought-after and valued for their expertise and thought leadership. Most of the time, they write and speak about their subject matter. Ryan states that some become business owners to accomplish these goals:

• To focus their work in the area of expertise they most want to explore

• To build their brand as an expert and thought leader

• To unlock the value of their time and talent that has been stuck behind their job description, and

• To get paid what they're worth.

What is your your ideal work situation?

How might you gain knowledge and recognition by speaking and writing on the topics that matter most to you?

• Mobile Facts

mobile-marketing-websitebuilder.org-infographic-final

Even though the infographic above, compiled by the team behind Website Builder, was written about mobile marketing, it is relevant to management. Benefits of using smartphones include the possibility to send location and time-sensitive information. 

Compare desktop and mobile.

Comment on user friendliness, adoption, and search.

How might managers use push notifications?

• Health and Safety Tips for Managers

10-health-safety-tips-safety-managers-infographc.png

“Each employer shall furnish to each of his employees employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees," OSHA’s General Duty Clause.

What are hazards at work?

How can managers keep the workplace clean and organized?

How can managers prepare for the unexpected?

• Team-Building Benefits

team-building-benefits

Zing Events reminds us (in this infographic) that team-building activities provide your business a variety of benefits. Team-building makes employees feel more appreciated at work, improves an organization's communication skills, and helps cultivate a strong work environment.

How might a manager use team-building to increase productivity?