Technician Talk

Please help I'm a single mom trying to work on and fix my only car myself .. 1993 Toyota paseo 1.5

This question is answered

Alright so here is the whole story I have a 1983 Toyota paseo coupe 1.5 l I was driving it I pulled into McDonald's and the car died but the car tries to start up but it has this like hesitation and will not succeed in an actual startup so I got it back to my house and I have been trying to troubleshoot it by myself since I don't have the money to afford to shop and I don't know anyone who is mechanically inclined I am logically smart I would like to thank and I have seen and been around enough mechanics to understand the concept and idea but not enough to actually know what I'm doing.

So I started with form searching online and what I found was check the distributor , ignition coil,  distributor rotor, sparkplugs and wires , camshaft ,timing , fuel issues or possibly a gunked up Cadillac converter. .. so I started with spark plugs I got new ones replace them I got new plugs and wires and a distributor cap then I found a site that told me to test the spark on plugs I did that and there is no spark. It told me to start working backwards from there ignition coil , distributor rotor .. ext... I need to know how to test each one of these things I have very little tools on hand or access to tools at all if anyone can help me troubleshoot this I would be very much appreciative I do have pictures of the distributor, cap , plugs , router and ignition coil if needed ...

Christina Hartman

Verified Answer
  • From the short search I just done it sounds like there's an issue with the distributor's on that engine from 1992 thru 1997. I'm not sure how much a complete distributor is for it but unfortunately it sounds like that may be the problem. You might check rockauto, they're very affordable. God bless and good luck!

• Thank you for subscribing to ChiltonDIY.

We have emailed you with information about checks and tests to help pinpoint the source of the concern.

First, check the timing belt.

If the timing belt is ok then, as Cumminsmaster98 mentions, check the distributor. (Thank you Cumminsmaster98!)

Check the battery voltage to the distributor.

If the battery voltage to the distributor is good, then test to see if the distributor is sending a signal to the vehicle's computer.

All Replies
  • From the short search I just done it sounds like there's an issue with the distributor's on that engine from 1992 thru 1997. I'm not sure how much a complete distributor is for it but unfortunately it sounds like that may be the problem. You might check rockauto, they're very affordable. God bless and good luck!

• Thank you for subscribing to ChiltonDIY.

We have emailed you with information about checks and tests to help pinpoint the source of the concern.

First, check the timing belt.

If the timing belt is ok then, as Cumminsmaster98 mentions, check the distributor. (Thank you Cumminsmaster98!)

Check the battery voltage to the distributor.

If the battery voltage to the distributor is good, then test to see if the distributor is sending a signal to the vehicle's computer.