Technician Talk

2004 Pontiac Sunfire (not starting)

This question is answered

Hi

My name is Les need help trying to figure out a problem with a 2004 sunfire 2.2 eco 4 cylinder engine.  Have replaced ignition modual and ignition coil and fuel pump and also a fuel pressure regulator and have done tune up on it and it still won't start.....  Can any one help out please?

Verified Answer
  • Hi Les,

I'm assuming the vehicle's engine will turn over. Check for hot spark on all four spark plugs. Check that the fuel pressure is between 50-60 psi.

Have you scanned the vehicle for any related codes?

Have you checked the crankshaft position sensor?

CKP Test: Visually inspect the related wire harness connectors. Look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.

1. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C. Set the ohmmeter to 1K-to-10K scale for this test. The meter reading should be open (high resistance) Replace the sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

2. Make sure the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is properly installed and the mounting bolt(s) are tight.

• With a scan tool, you will need to perform the Crankshaft Position Variation Learn procedure.

All Replies
  • Hi Les,

I'm assuming the vehicle's engine will turn over. Check for hot spark on all four spark plugs. Check that the fuel pressure is between 50-60 psi.

Have you scanned the vehicle for any related codes?

Have you checked the crankshaft position sensor?

CKP Test: Visually inspect the related wire harness connectors. Look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals.

1. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C. Set the ohmmeter to 1K-to-10K scale for this test. The meter reading should be open (high resistance) Replace the sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

2. Make sure the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is properly installed and the mounting bolt(s) are tight.

• Have not ck'd ckp...Need to know if this will reqiure timing reset if crank sensor is out?

• With a scan tool, you will need to perform the Crankshaft Position Variation Learn procedure.