DIY Dialog

Why won't my '89 Cadillac front seat belt retract?

This question is answered

I've removed the covers on the front passenger seat belt, but don't see why the seat belt won't retract. The driver's belt works, so I don't think the car has been an accident; there's no body damage to indicate any accident. I've looked online at YouTube videos, but most videos are for newer vehicles, and don't look the same. I also don't know what the soft, white, domed piece is (located under the belt roller) and everything moves, but it won't retract. I hesitate to go any further without some advise because of damaging any sensors. Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Verified Answer
  • Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble! You can look up your 1989 Cadillac model at .

There you can browse the Repair section table of contents before subscribing to Chilton online. A subscription allows you to view, print, and save repair procedures, specifications, technical service bulletins, recalls, maintenance intervals, and more.

Since the retractor is a safety item, the recommendation is to replace it with a new one.

All Replies
  • Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble! You can look up your 1989 Cadillac model at .

There you can browse the Repair section table of contents before subscribing to Chilton online. A subscription allows you to view, print, and save repair procedures, specifications, technical service bulletins, recalls, maintenance intervals, and more.

Since the retractor is a safety item, the recommendation is to replace it with a new one.