DIY Dialog

1993 SUBARU LEGACY - ignition system question

This question is answered

1993 Subaru Legacy Wagon 

Everything turned off the other day while I was driving.. two red lights on the dash lit up at the same time and stayed on:
BRAKE and OIL AT TEMP
So, I checked coolant since it is summer, and it was fine.
Then had it towed to Goodyear where they told me it was an ignition coil. They priced the work for it at $380.
I said no thanks after shopping the part online (about $80), and when I picked up the car they said it was actually the Ignition Control.
Took it home anyway, bought an ignition control online (for $180) and replaced that. Also replaced spark plugs.
Tried to start it with a jump (it sat for a week) and it still won't turn over.
It has power (lights on dash all come on) and will chug (try to start) but won't actually fire up.
(Sorry not sure what the proper terms for all of this is!)
So I think the next step is to buy the coil as well and the internet seems to think that those two red lights together mean time for an altenator.
I would love some opinions if anybody has 'em!
Let me know if you have any other questions,
THANKS
Brittany

Verified Answer
  • Have the battery charged and check out, then check for spark on all 4 cylinders.

You do have a pre-OBD 2 model so code reading will probably difficult if you do not have an older scan tool and connector. You have to start with a fully charged battery before you test the system.

Recheck spark, fuel, timing, charging system etc.

All Replies
  • Brittany,

As for the lights on the dash, on some models the brake light will come on when the alternator fails.

My suggestion is to charge and check the battery. After you are convinced the battery is okay, check the ignition system. Make sure you have a hot spark on all four cylinders, use a spark tester or an old spark plug that has been grounded to the block.

Check your timing marks. Has the vehicle had its timing belt replaced at the recommended interval?

Check all the basics first, fuel supply, ignition, compression and timing.

Have you scanned the vehicle for trouble codes? This may point you in the right direction.

• Hi! Thank you for the quick response!

So, there is no spark.

Timing belt was changed within the last two years.

How do I check compression? I tried to logic that out with the book, but all I can seem to get to is checking the cam- and crankshaft sensors. 

I haven't scanned it for codes yet.

It doesn't run, so I guess I gotta go buy a reader. OBD I, yes?

Again, thanks so much for the help!

Brittany

• Have the battery charged and check out, then check for spark on all 4 cylinders.

You do have a pre-OBD 2 model so code reading will probably difficult if you do not have an older scan tool and connector. You have to start with a fully charged battery before you test the system.

Recheck spark, fuel, timing, charging system etc.