DIY Dialog

98 Plymouth Neon power steering lines

This question is answered

I have a leak in my power steering system that I have traced to the hoses that appear to connect to something in the front undercarriage.  I'm really not sure how to tighten those compression fittings, I don't have enough room to get a wrench in there to tighten them.  I'm in desperate need of help any info will be greatly appreciated.

Verified Answer
  • 98 Plymouth Neon power steering lines?

It sounds like you're describing the Rack & Pinion steering gear. You have a pump and a reservoir where you add the fluid. You have a pressure hose for the power steering and it is bigger than the return line. They both run from the power steering pump to the steering rack & pinion. The pressure hose is under pressure and usually fails first. My suggestion is to clean the area at the leak and fill the reservoir. Carefully jack up the front of the vehicle. Have an assistant turn the steering wheel back and forth, while you look to see the source of the leak. The fluid is under a great deal of pressure. If it leaks, it usually sprays out. As opposed to a return line that may drip. Replacing the line is no easy task. You will need line wrenches and maybe a crow’s foot line wrench. You also need lots of patience.
    Note: Brake cleaner works great at cleaning off the steering fluid.

All Replies
  • 98 Plymouth Neon power steering lines?

It sounds like you're describing the Rack & Pinion steering gear. You have a pump and a reservoir where you add the fluid. You have a pressure hose for the power steering and it is bigger than the return line. They both run from the power steering pump to the steering rack & pinion. The pressure hose is under pressure and usually fails first. My suggestion is to clean the area at the leak and fill the reservoir. Carefully jack up the front of the vehicle. Have an assistant turn the steering wheel back and forth, while you look to see the source of the leak. The fluid is under a great deal of pressure. If it leaks, it usually sprays out. As opposed to a return line that may drip. Replacing the line is no easy task. You will need line wrenches and maybe a crow’s foot line wrench. You also need lots of patience.
    Note: Brake cleaner works great at cleaning off the steering fluid.